What is the best feed I can buy and should it include Fish Meal

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickenGRAFFITI, Nov 30, 2010.

1. chickenGRAFFITI

chickenGRAFFITI Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2009
    I have 8 show quality Silkies with ages ranging from 3 months to 15 months.

They get organic treats 3 times a day (generally fresh cut corn off the cob, seedless watermelon, black seedless grapes (as they won’t eat the green or red ones)). They also have grit and oyster shell as well as bottled water with probiotics and vitamins added. They free range on putting green grass most of the day but there really are not many bugs/worms for them to eat and no weeds. For feed I currently use McGeary Organics 20% Crude Protein Chick Starter. They seem to prefer it to the Grower formula and they like the super fine texture. It is USDA Organic which I assume is better for them. The first 2 ingredients are Corn and Soybean Meal. There are about 30 other minor ingredients that include everything from Kelp, to Yeast and MANY vitamin supplements. I also mix in DE and Flax Seed.

My concern is Soybean Meal as I have read that Fish Meal is better as chickens are omnivores. The only feed I could find with Fish Meal is Countryside Natural and it has a first ingredient of Organic Field Peas and Corn Second. I don’t know if Peas are better than Corn. You can see the label at http://www.countrysidenatural.com/product.php?productid=136&cat=0&page=1&featured

I
    am not an organic freak for myself and I don’t eat their eggs, I just try to give my little ones the best I can find. Does anyone know what the best is that is out there and what it should include considering all of their feeding habits? Any Help would be greatly appreciated. [​IMG]

2. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

Sounds like your chickens are eating better than I am now! I think you'll get a lot of answers and they will all be different. Everyone seems to have a feed they like. I just use regular old feed, but maybe someone else who feeds organic will chime in.

3. chickenGRAFFITI

chickenGRAFFITI Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2009
    Quote:OK, Thank you.

4. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    The protein need not come from fish meal. It can be any 'animal protein:' poultry, pork, or even just animal by-products.

You are over-doing the vitamins and minerals. Their bodies are either discarding the extra or you are damaging the liver.

5. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    I supplement fish meal by buying Matzuri koi fish food... Read the label.. there is the cheapy corn kind and the real deal... the real deal sets you back about 10 bucks for a 5 pound sack but since they only need a couple kibbles each...it is a bargain.

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:I wouldn't routinely add vitamins to the water. I agree that it might be harmful unless they are sick.

Also- probiotics are usually for restoring natural flora after a course of antibiotics, IMO.

The putting green grass - is there an alternative such as regular grass without added fertilizers and herbicides? I understand that may be all you have available. [​IMG]

In addition, peas are 24.5% protein, and corn is usually only 7%. But I guess that doesn't matter if you are feeding a standard mix.

I love to feed my chickens split peas in my mix. They are good for them, yes!

It sounds like your silkies are getting yummy treats and lots of care. [​IMG]

http://www.gov.mb.ca/agriculture/livestock/poultry/bba01s20.html
    They discuss peas on the above website.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  7. ChickensAreSweet

I am quoting fellow BYC'er Pips&Peeps from another website: (I hope he doesn't mind.)

"My breeder birds all get fresh vitamin water every other day and the chicks have all been very healthy."

So apparently I was wrong about vitamins in the water....it must be common in the showing circle.

8. ChickensAreSweet

Also, I would like to mention (haha my 3rd post now [​IMG] ) that if you put in your title something about show quality silkies and what to feed them- you might get more responses from the Silkie breeders.

There are some Silkie breeders on here who have exquisite birds.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by