What is the best food for my flock?

Jan 1, 2020
Eastern North Carolina, USA
I have around 40 chickens in total, most are different ages and I have both hens and roosters. Mostly my plan is to hatch chicks from them and for eggs. They all came from good breeders that were breeding to the sop and have show quality potential, haven’t decided if I’m going to show or not. I have quality Wyandottes, Heritage Rhode Island Reds, Ayam Cemani and Ameraucanas. I can’t free range because of all the predators in the area including the neighbors dogs who just go wherever they want. I’m currently feeding Dumor all flock pellets 17% and fermented grains which I only give to them every 3 days, they have unlimited access to the all flock pellets and oyster shells for the laying hens. I want to make sure I’m doing everything right food wise. If there is anything extra I need to add or better feed options for my situation please let me know.

Here in the US, 16% Protein is generally considered the minimum for layers. 17% is marginally better. 18-20% is better for initial growth/bulk, it aids molts with feather replacement, and generally provides for a slightly more robust bird, as well as measurable, but unnoticeable improvements in egg size, quality, and rate of lay. Measurable as in, if you used calibers, scales, and took really good records for long enough period, over large enough flock, you could prove the difference in the numbers. Unnoticable because the differences identified in the studies are slight - too slight to rely on human eyes and human recollection to confidently record.

For the majority of backyard owners, in the majority of backyard conditions, under the majority of backyard management practices, I'm in the 18-20% All Flock camp as my general recommend, emphasizing freshness. Since you have mixed age and gender, "All FLock" plus Free Choice Oyster is really the only practical feed program, though your flock size is larger than the typical backyard batch.

Have you considered checking local mills for a similar product, possibly both fresher and cheaper??? Maybe @3KillerBs knows of one in your area? In my own area, I have choice of two - one at 18% I can get within a week or two of milling at $0.283/lb, and another I mix from two that ends up at $0.251/lb and 20% protein (but higher calcium - so its really only appropriate because I cull all my males young, before it has chance to build up in their system - even my breeders only get a year with the ladies).

Last edited:
Have you considered checking local mills for a similar product, possibly both fresher and cheaper???
I have checked my local mill which is Coker Feed Mill in Goldsboro, North Carolina. All they seem to have is layer feed 17%, start and grow 18% and game bird feed which looks like it’s mostly grains but not positive.

Back
Top Bottom