What is the best food for my flock?

I have checked my local mill which is Coker Feed Mill in Goldsboro, North Carolina. All they seem to have is layer feed 17%, start and grow 18% and game bird feed which looks like it’s mostly grains but not positive.

All we can do as backyard owners is check the labels. The mix I have successfully used (again, understanding that my flock size, needs, and management differ from most) is 1 part layer from the local mill (16% protein, 6% fiber, 2.75% fat, 3.5-4.5% calcium) with 1 part Game Bird Grower (24% protein, 7% fiber, 3.75% fat, .8-1.2% calcium).

So I end up with 20% Protein, 6.5% fiber (max - and higher than I'd prefer), 3.25% fat, and calcium between about 2.2 and 2.4% (again, higher than I'd like, but most of my birds don't live long enough for signs of excess calcium to appear). and like I said, I can make that up, fresh, at about $0.25/lb. That's hard to beat right now.

Just curious, I’m new to breeding chickens, why do you cull males young? I’m was thinking of keeping a good quality male with the hens for around 3 years for breeding.

Its a LONG story.

The shorter answer is that I hatch approximately every three weeks, and half on average are male. I eat them, and only keep a select few for breeding with the rest of the mutts. Like a commercial producer, I cull the older birds (12-18 months) as they "age out" and production drops (I sell eggs). Also keeps my "working" roosters from completely dominating the gene pool as my project progresses.

I know that my local feed mill would be my best option to save money on food, is there an option to buy in bulk and save more? My local feed mill is about a hour away so I would probably be better off to do so.
Only if the feed remains fresh thru time of use. I'm feeding over 100# a week (well over, considering the goats), so I buy 500# at a time, and get a bulk discount. Would be a net loss if a few bags became stale, or worse, moldy...

Only if the feed remains fresh thru time of use. I'm feeding over 100# a week (well over, considering the goats), so I buy 500# at a time, and get a bulk discount. Would be a net loss if a few bags became stale, or worse, moldy...
My birds eat a little under two 50lb bags a week, I usually have to pick up 2 bags every weekend.

My birds eat a little under two 50lb bags a week, I usually have to pick up 2 bags every weekend.
If your area is like mine, you probably can get a bulk discount at 10 bags from the local feed store - maybe a cash discount, too.

and on that happy note, I'm off to pick up 12 more bags myself.

Back
Top Bottom