What is the best goose breed!?!

Hi, I am wanting to buy a pair of geese. What is the best goose breed that raises its own gosling? And should i get 2 gosling or full grown geese?:D
Welcome to BYC!
It kind of depends what your needs/wants are. Is it going to be a problem if they're very loud? Do you have plenty of space for larger breeds or do you not have much room?
Do you have small children?
I like cotton patch geese and embdens. Sebastopols are also very cool, and Buffs are about the sweetest geese you'll get. Chinese geese and African geese are loud, and can get somewhat aggressive in breeding season.
I would go with Buffs just because of how sweet they are, and they will go broody.
As far as age, if you want them to be friendly, getting goslings would be best. But it's kind of too late in the year now for goslings. You could get some young ones, but they would probably be mostly feathered.
Adults will be more nervous, and if you let them raise their own babies, the babies will usually also be nervous around people. It just depends on if you want them to be very friendly or not.

My first suggestion is buy from a breeder
Babies are the best you will get the opportunity to bond and be part of there flock but always remember you still need to remain the top bird. Cotton patch are a smaller goose and on the endangered list and need more caretakers to get there numbers up you can contact the cotton patch goose society on facebook to learn about them. They would be my 2nd choice. I am hooked on my dewlap Africans and also have 2 of the common Africans. MGG is correct Africans are on the loud side but My Dewlap Africans are like a whole different breed much calmer more dependent and interactive. Here is a few of my flock. the one in the middle is a African the other's are 6 month old Dewlap African note the difference in size.
I dont know much about other breeds but Im sure more folks will join in.

Attachments

• babbys 052.JPG
    babbys 052.JPG
    597.6 KB · Views: 12
My first suggestion is buy from a breeder
Babies are the best you will get the opportunity to bond and be part of there flock but always remember you still need to remain the top bird. Cotton patch are a smaller goose and on the endangered list and need more caretakers to get there numbers up you can contact the cotton patch goose society on facebook to learn about them. They would be my 2nd choice. I am hooked on my dewlap Africans and also have 2 of the common Africans. MGG is correct Africans are on the loud side but My Dewlap Africans are like a whole different breed much calmer more dependent and interactive. Here is a few of my flock. the one in the middle is a African the other's are 6 month old Dewlap African note the difference in size.
I dont know much about other breeds but Im sure more folks will join in.
I really like African geese but are they gentle to small children?

I really like African geese but are they gentle to small children?
It dose depend on the time of year. and how you raise them. I hatched a lone goose last year her name was uno. "note her" She got a very special home with 3 small children ducks and chickens. She is the joy of there backyard and thinks she is a duck. Dewlap Africans are allot calmer than the smaller production Africans who are a little more pushy. Every bird is a little different. Hope you look into the cotton patch though they are much smaller and need guardians Iv also hear allot about there calm behavior.

Back
Top Bottom