what is the best hatchery to order from?

poultrylubber

Songster
7 Years
Aug 13, 2012
Shivering in Northern Michigan!
HI everyone, I am starting to research hatcheries for this spring. This is my first time ordering from a hatchery so I don't know all the options. If you could tell me what is your hatchery that you order from and the quality of the chicks that arrive that would be helpful. So far I am kind of leaning toward Meyer Hatchery but not sure yet. If you could give me some suggestions that would be great.

Thanks
big_smile.png

This is my first time ordering from a hatchery too! The ones I got I guess were from a hatchery but the store put them with the ducks until we got there. I got a order book from Meyer Hatchery and am thinking about them, but I was wondering if there was a better place with a 100% survival rate.

It will be tough to get someone who would guarantee 100%survival especially since the day old chicks are mailed. I ordered from Meyer and had very good luck.

It will be tough to get someone who would guarantee 100%survival especially since the day old chicks are mailed. I ordered from Meyer and had very good luck.
I agree. Shipping is very hard on birds in general, but I've gotten several orders of pullets for my laying flock from My Pet Chicken and have had no losses on arrival and found the company very nice to deal with. I think they drop ship from Meyer, but am not 100% certain. They have a nice selection too.

I'm getting rare breeds: German Spitzhauben and Welsummer. I'm also getting a Buff Laced Polish. I saw these in the order catalog from Meyer, are there any other hatcheries or is Meyer good at giving good quality birds of the right sex.

I'm getting rare breeds: German Spitzhauben and Welsummer. I'm also getting a Buff Laced Polish. I saw these in the order catalog from Meyer, are there any other hatcheries or is Meyer good at giving good quality birds of the right sex.
All of mine have been properly sexed from My Pet Chicken, including the bantams. I don't have any Spitzhauben but the MPC Welsummers are friendly and beautiful for hatchery chicks.

I ordered from mypetchicken.com. I only ordered 4 chicks and all 4 chicks survived. I was very happy with them. I'm thinking about ordering some eggs from them in the spring and hatching them out myself. Make sure whatever hatchery you order from will replace chicks that don't survive. If they don't or won't don't order from them!

Meyer sexed all.13 right for me. So.far lol. I wasn't sure about one EE but it has been confirmed a pullet I.was very happy with Meyer

Mine were sexed too. They also guaranteed to replace any if they were sexed wrongly but within so many days. Can't beat it! I also like My Pet Chicken because you didn't need a minimum order of 25 all you need is 3 which for me was perfect because I live in the city and don't have the space for 25 chicks. I also opted to get mine the Marek's vaccine (completely optional) for only a dollar a chick more. I thought the prices were very reasonable.

Back
Top Bottom