What is the best heated water bowl?

Pics

black_cat

♥♥Lover of Leghorns♥♥
May 21, 2020
Connecticut
It is cooling down and I am starting to look at options to use to water my chickens in the winter without freezing. I need one that is pretty deep and also heavy enough that they can't knock it over. Battery operated would be great but I can run extension cords.

This is what I use for mine the floater goes in my buckets and the tube is in my pipeline
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089D59J3M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_EKSxFbBW9P917
Ooh, that's a good idea! Do you think I could use it in a gravity fed waterer?

current waterer.jpg

Here we use the metal heated bases for our metal waterers in winter. It's also possible to use a heated dog water dish, especially if you don't have birds with large wattles to get wet in the bowl, or chicks to be caught in the deep dish. There are heated plastic waterers, and some are good, and some are a royal pain to fill upside down.
You could use a couple of black rubber bowls, and dump the frozen one and then bring out fresh water three times each day to refill.
Mary

Here we use the metal heated bases for our metal waterers in winter. It's also possible to use a heated dog water dish, especially if you don't have birds with large wattles to get wet in the bowl, or chicks to be caught in the deep dish. There are heated plastic waterers, and some are good, and some are a royal pain to fill upside down.
You could use a couple of black rubber bowls, and dump the frozen one and then bring out fresh water three times each day to refill.
Mary
Unfortunately I am at school all day so I need something that will not need refilling. I am looking into a dog water dish! I have a leghorn with larger wattles than my other birds, but no roosters or anyone with ginormous ones. Thinking ahead, I may be getting some bearded birds (easter egger and possible SF) this spring. Would their beards get wet and freeze? I had no idea that there were heated poultry waterers. Googling these, this seems obvious.

The feed stores will carry heated dog bowls too, and they can come in different sizes. The one problem is having birds walk into one, and get frozen feet, or those roosters with big wattles. The muffs on EEs and SFs haven't been an issue here.
Last winter we had one cockerel, our first bird ever, have frozen toes. I don't know what he did, but it was ugly.
We have the dog water dish at the barn, for our barn cat, and any chickens who make the trip there in winter.
And having safe electrical outlets at the coop will be so worth it for you!
Mary

Back
Top Bottom