What is the best kind of duck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by debilorrah, Apr 16, 2009.

1. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Most popular, easiest, etc. We are moving to a rural area where we can have all kinds of animals and we want ducks. [​IMG] What's your favorites and why?

2. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

My favorites are the Pekins! I have always loved them for their sweet personalities and recently got my very first of my own! They are known to be nice pets and their cute chubby cheeks are adorable!! [​IMG]

3. old mill poultry

old mill poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    I had two pekins that I got from tsc, just have the male now. We lost noami in a predator massacre. I really love ducks so much, got khaki campbells in bator, ordered blue swedes and buffs from mcmurray coming may 11. It depends what you want them for, fun, eggs for eating, hatching or just beauty of watching.

4. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:yep! i love the pekins too!! i have four with 14 eggs in the bator! i can't wait!!!!!!!!! they are so funny and are adorable to watch. they are a little on the big side, but they've got a big heart to match. [​IMG]

5. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    I have 5 Khakis, 1 Pekin and 1 Mallard. I am new to ducks and they are only 6 weeks old, but so far the Pekin is my favorite. The Khakis, at least mine, are a little skiddish. The Pekin is friendly and just seems sweet. See website for more :)

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    The best kind of duck is the kind that swims [​IMG] There really isn't one perfect breed. I personally love pekins, though I'm thinking of just keeping cayugas [​IMG] I doubt I'll get rid of any of mine, I just love them so much! [​IMG]

The best kind of duck is the one that you like the best [​IMG]

7. Luvducks

Luvducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Colorado
    I have 2 Khaki's and 2 Blue Swedish. They are 3 weeks old and still skittish. I talk to them when feeding and let them swim while I clean out the pen. I am HOPING they become more friendly. I might try Pekin next time. I am also interested in the little Call Ducks. They are 1 1/2 pounds full grown and supposed to be friendly. I still love my little ones and want them to have a long happy life here because they are still fun to watch.

8. Luvducks

Luvducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Colorado
    Quote:Well Put!

9. One Acre Wonder Farm

One Acre Wonder Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2009
    Vermont
    I have Pekins and Blue Swedish. The Pekins lay monster eggs! The Blue Swedish lay lovely pale blue eggs (not quite as large as the Pekins). I think my Blue Swedish are a bit more calm/tame (but only marginally!). I love them all. Best to get a variety [​IMG]

10. Mikhail

Mikhail Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    I've only owned pekins and I agree that they're great pets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by