what is the best meat bird that I can hatch myself?

I wanted a dual purpose bird with a docile temperament that could free range or be content in confinement. I settled on Speckled Sussex, which were the standard table bird in England before the Cornish Crosses became popular. A big plus for me is that I will be able to keep some for eggs and breeding and hatch my meat birds for next year. There are 30 on free range now and using relatively little feed. I am happy with this choice so far.

We started lots of birds this year, and I'm loving the Plymouth Rocks. They are
almost 4 months now and are HUGE! I'm sending the extra roos to get freezer-ready
next week. The Rock-cross Mutt Roo I have is the biggest, I'd say about 10 lbs.
currently, but I'm saving him to breed my meat chicks for next year! (probably with my
New Hampshire hens)
They are the biggest, meatiest birds I have right now.
Friendly, too...and they free range well - even eating frogs & salamanders from the creek.
Good luck with your flock!

There are alot of different options out there and many of us here on BYC are working to get our own meaties to hatch out too. I have some that just started to lay and I am excited with their potential.

About a month ago the biggest Roo weighed in at 6.5 lbs and the biggest hen at 6. They were about 20 weeks old-- so a little old for processing. I only have 12 birds but they are starting to lay and I am going to see if they breed true. If they do... I will be one happy woman. I still have work to do with them but they are good enough for me to continue to work with.

Katy the Chicken Lady also is working on Meaties, sustainable meaties and hers are honestly much bigger than mine. They are huge! She is also seeing how "sustainable" they are. Next year I believe she will be selling chicks and or eggs so pm her and get on her list.

I also have Light Sussex and they are a great dual purpose bird. It takes them some time to fill out but so far they are the heaviest of my dual purpose birds, even heavier than the Orps.

The dp birds don't have nearly the breast meat as the standard cornish have..they may get "bigger" but that doesn't mean meatier.Our cornish chicks at 2 months already are packing on the meat not the size..we just give way those dp roos now-were spoiled
big_smile.png
They are not the best dp birds but the dp birds are not the best meat birds so why try to make either one what they are not..have layers and meat birds.
The ladies lay the future generations so if you want fresh chicken just keep popping a few in the bator or under a broody.We are also working on some crosses without loosing the breast meat-time will tell.

Quote:
Yeah I'm not concerned with dp birds that would make great layers. All I want is a meat bird that lays enough to replenish my flock so I don't have to order more every time I want some roast chicken.

Back
Top Bottom