What is the best paint to use for chicken coop that won't harm my chickens ??

I disagree that anything is safe. I'm chemically sensitive and react more strongly to things others don't even notice. It's one of the reasons I'm unable to work.

The best paint I've ever used — and the only one I'll ever use — is Ecos Paints. It's mail order through a reputable, established company. They color match to anything you specify. During the checkout process just enter the brand name and color you want the paint matched to and that's what you'll get, perfectly matched.

For example, I ordered interior paint a few months ago for the interior of our home: Benjamin Moore's Simply White in semi gloss for the trim; and Benjamin Moore's Ballet White in flat for the walls.

https://www.ecospaints.net

It's non-toxic and is used in hospital rooms and animal shelters. Etsy uses it for their offices. (I love Etsy and had to mention that.) It's pricier, but think of paint as furniture. You're going to have it a long, long time. The investment is so worth it.

You can literally move your chickens in the day you paint, although personally I'd wait a day or two.

The zero VOC paints at Home Depot and Lowe's aren't true zero VOC paints. And you have more to worry about than just that. They are chemical based and they outgass, and should the paint flake for some reason, you don't want your chickens ingesting it.

But you're safe with Ecos.
Did you order the primer AND paint? Or just the paint and did two coats?

Did you order the primer AND paint? Or just the paint and did two coats?
For our walls I didn't prime since I was painting over existing paint. But for bare wood in a chicken coop, I'm not sure. I found the coverage to be good with this paint, but I always do two coats for thorough coverage, even paints that claim they're "one coat" paints. I rarely find that to be true.

I would call Ecos and ask if they feel a primer is necessary for bare wood. For a lighter color you could get some bleed through, but not likely with plywood. Personally I would probably prime for a good base coat, but give them a call and see what they say.

Ok great! I'm getting the paint today. Still don't know what colors.. Can't decide.. Either the red and white classic look or blue and white or a coral peach color with white frame...
Do not use red. The color red agitates chickens and can cause them to fight

Back
Top Bottom