What is the BEST pre-fab coop on the market?

Hi
I love my coop. I ordered it from sunset barns. They have a web site, I think its www.sunsetbarns.com. My coop is very sturdy I am in it all the time The floor has no give to it feels very strong, the windows are nice and the doors are very solid feeling. The size I ordered is 4x8 and its a bit bigger than that. Stained nice and on a 4x4 treated lumber base. I am very happy with it. They had smaller ones and also I think one bigger one. I was very happy with the price. It would have cost us much more to have my husband take a week off work to build it so for us it was cheaper than building one our self. And if you check my byc page you will see from the coop I built myself that that I am not able to do the coop with out my husbands help. So some times ordering one saves money.
30659_chicken_yard_fence_gazebo_2010_078.jpg

I have a horizon structures 4X6 prefab coop and I love it I have had it for 1 1/2 years and its worked well for both LF and bantams.

Henry

I've got one very similar to the Horizon Structures coop. I purchased mine last summer from a local garden center and I love it! I got the smallest one but they have larger sizes.
36045_coop.jpg

Its very sturdy and easy to keep clean. We priced out the cost of materials needed to build a coop and materials alone came to almost $500. The coop was $700 which I thought was a very fair price.

Here are some links to BYC threads of prefab coops:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=57816&p=1
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=3799305#p3799305

I really like the design of those EZ-Clean coops...so much so that I copied theirs when I built my own. It's really great to be able to open up one whole side of the coop to clean inside, etc.

I purchased the Thomas coop from
http://www.rootscoopsandmore.com/Roots,_Coops,_&_More/Roots_Coops_&_More.html
and thought it was fantastic. The workmanship was excellent and everything fit together perfectly and probably sturdier than my house! It is also super attractive. The price is lower than most smaller coops and they worked hard to get the shipping down to a reasonable $250 by using a truck company that was delivering something to a company about 15 miles from my home. The coop is 4'x8', but the back foot is used for the nesting boxes, so at 4x7 it is perfect for the number of chickens you are considering. An added bonus is that it is just tall enough for the chickens to go under it and they liked to hang out there on hot days.

But......I have to agree with the people who say that converting a shed to a coop is the way to go. I used my wonderful coop for all of five months before deciding that I wanted more chickens and a walk in coop. I found a shed on Craigslist and hired a company to move and set up the shed for me. The cost to move it was $150 which is less than shipping most coops. Actually my cost was $300 because I did not plan well and realized that the shed would be better in a different location about 20 feet away, so I called the guys out to re-move it! I have to say that being able to walk into the shed-coop as well as keep all of the food and chicken supplies in it is wonderful and I wish I had gone that route to start.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom