what is the best thing to bait a trap for coons

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chixie, Sep 25, 2010.

1. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    I lost more silkies night before last. its the stranges thing. they always get 3 .2 completely gone and they leave on decapitated. i am assuming its a coon or familyof coons

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  2. har

har Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2009
    Rogers,Ar
    I have used anything from cat food to apples

3. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    It kina depends on how close your neighbors are but the one they left is the best bait other baits are oily fish molasses ,honey buns, fruit that is in season locally bananas work for me when nothing else does mostly I use fish but I trap an industrial river there are very few domestic animals here only wild ones

4. The Tinman

The Tinman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Fairfield County CT
    Fish! But put it on something you can throw away cause of the smell.

5. Harlequin

Harlequin Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2010
    peanut butter and tobasco sauce, they come for the peanut butter and leave because their eyes get tobasco sauce in it. my dad played this trick on some who were gettnig into our trash a couple times [​IMG]

6. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I trapped coons for years. Always used a #4 steal trap & sardines. We sold the hides for $15.00 & the meat for $ 5.00 . This was in the early 70's . We caught our fair share. Good trapping to you.

7. birdicus7

birdicus7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Coatesville, PA
    I always have my best luck with a can of sardines. I don't open it though I use a can opener to poke little triangle shaped holed all the way around the outside rim.

8. herefordlovinglady

herefordlovinglady It Is What It Is

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    i use my have a heart trap, use sardines -- problem is the cats like the sardines, so i end up getting wild cats in the trap. i have heard marsh mellows are good to catch coons, they seem to really love them and really don't think cats will eat marsh mellows. i plan to try that next.

in the winter when i trap i give them to one of the fellows around here that saves the meat and cooks it for supper bowl weekend.

9. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    I've always used peanut butter-----just smear it right on the "plate" in the trap. I like it, because they can't just reach through and steal it, they have to go in and lick it, which trips the trap. Plus, you won't end up catching 10 cats just to get to one coon!

herefordlovinglady, can't help but wonder, what does raccoon taste like, and do the guy's Superbowl Party guests know they're eating it? LOL [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  10. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    We've used kitty kibbles. The coons cannot resist ze kitteh keebles! I've caught two in a trap using these.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by