What is the best tomato to grow?

Absolutely. What works for me this year, may fail dismally for you. And what worked for me last year may be a failure next year. My favorite is Amish paste for canning. Lovely HUGE tomatoes fill up that canner fast!!!

Absolutely. What works for me this year, may fail dismally for you. And what worked for me last year may be a failure next year. My favorite is Amish paste for canning. Lovely HUGE tomatoes fill up that canner fast!!!
You are the second to advocate for AP..... it is on my list but probably for next year.

I usually grow coustralee tomatoes
In my garden you might want to try those.
These are on my list too!!!! I have a VERY LONNG list and not enough time or TIME. lol Did I say time??? I see easily a hundred varieties to trial!!!

I'm not big on slicer type tomatoes. One plant can give me all I need of those in a year. Same with cherry or grape types.

I grow tomatoes to can them, to sauce them, or to salsa them.

The last couple years I had grown the Easy Sauce Hybrid from Gurney's. I was very happy with it for my purposes.

Then I found opalka, and I won't be looking back. In addition to being an heirloom, so I can keep and grow my own seeds, they are nearly seedless, and the skin can almost be pulled off without blanching. I was amazed.

I'll still put a beefsteak out, and a cherry plant on the porch, but I'm making the switch to opalka.

In the end though, it really comes down to what you need. If you need a sauce type, you're looking at very different tomatoes than if you want a summer full of BLTs and caprese salad.

I like Roma tomatoes, they are an all around great tomato. Most people use for canning, I use them in rice, salsa, guacamole, pasta, etc.

Back
Top Bottom