What is the best treatment for Salpingitis infection?

chickenmomma16

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 16, 2012
Buckley, Washington
I had a hen pass a lash egg on the poop board and I wasn’t sure exactly who. Unfortunately I think I’ve identified her and I’d like to try and save her if possible. She’s a young hen and the best daughter out of my favorite old cock that I just lost.
All I had on hand was Penicillin and I’ve
just finished 5 days of injections and I don’t see a big difference in demeanor. She’s eating a little, goes out with the flock for pasture time but has lost a lot of weight, seems listless, keeps head pulled in a bit, and just over all weak. Any other suggestions or is it a lost cause? Feed stores no longer sell antibiotics so it will be extremely difficult to get anything else without a prescription.

Hi.

I'm so sorry for your hen...!

I don't know if I could be of help, but in the case you are really desesperate...
...Some years ago, I have cured a Gournay hen very much weakened and literally dying from Salpingitis.

I don't remember all the exact details,
but at the time, she laid really disgusting waste...
I knew some things then, and after some more research, I sadly had to conclude my hen had Salpingintis...

Problem was : I did not know any medication to treat Salpingitis!!

Buuuuuut... since Salpingitis in chickens is renowed to be (often) due to E. coli, my priority was not to treat Salpingintis since it seemed like a lost cause : instead, I choose to treat E. coli... in the hope, of course, it would save my hen!
And my choice was probably for the better, for resulting since then in : a hen alive, healthy, happy... laying eggs again - some of them being double-yolked HUGE eggs!

So... what I did to heal my hen (noting that's was technically an experience, since that was a first for me) :

Everyday, I gave her herbs and ground spices - especially cumin, which is told to help against E. coli!
(I was not even afraid to give her too much of these, since she was dying anyway...)

Herbs =
Herbes de Provence + A LOT OF thyme
Spices = Bell pepper, Cayenne pepper, Espelette pepper, Ginger, Curcumin, Cumin
Also, I added a lot of garlic (powder)!

I mixed all these herbs and spice with (natural) yogurt, wet cat food, OR - occasionally - a mix of milk and bread... and I added a bit of honey in the mix! Sometimes, I also put Olive Oil in, and a little bit of cinnamon!
(...I think I also put some liquid Calcium in the mix...?)

In addition of her usual food, I gave her that mix to eat for a long time (don't remember how much exactly, but was loooooooong), hoping she would get better.

And sometimes, I also put Apple Cider Vinegar in a plastic waterer, thinking it would help her!

And certainly thanks to that, my hen survived!!
Took time, but she finally got back into shape, and since then, she has even been laying some massive eggs (what she never did before)!!

Never again has she been sick...!!

...Don't know if it could help you...
I don't even know what exactly cured my hen! (Cumin, yes... but for the other things I put in the mix I feed my Gournay? Not sure. I just tried what I could, by using what is renowned good for the immune system!)
But if your hen is dying, what do you have to lose by trying to feed her how I did?
Maybe you hen will die, but maybe you can save her...?

Good luck.

Depending on the bacteria causing the salpingitis, which could be mycoplasma or E.coli, an antibiotic early in the infection might possibly help. But usually by the time lash material is seen, it could too late. Here are a couple of articles to read about salpingitis:
https://extension.umaine.edu/publications/2114e/

https://www.clorofil.org/post/2021/09/salpingitis-and-lash-eggs
I wish I caught it earlier. She is also molting so I thought she just had a case of the molting blues.🥺

Hi.

I'm so sorry for your hen...!

I don't know if I could be of help, but in the case you are really desesperate...
...Some years ago, I have cured a Gournay hen very much weakened and literally dying from Salpingitis.

I don't remember all the exact details,
but at the time, she laid really disgusting waste...
I knew some things then, and after some more research, I sadly had to conclude my hen had Salpingintis...

Problem was : I did not know any medication to treat Salpingitis!!

Buuuuuut... since Salpingitis in chickens is renowed to be (often) due to E. coli, my priority was not to treat Salpingintis since it seemed like a lost cause : instead, I choose to treat E. coli... in the hope, of course, it would save my hen!
And my choice was probably for the better, for resulting since then in : a hen alive, healthy, happy... laying eggs again - some of them being double-yolked HUGE eggs!

So... what I did to heal my hen (noting that's was technically an experience, since that was a first for me) :

Everyday, I gave her herbs and ground spices - especially cumin, which is told to help against E. coli!
(I was not even afraid to give her too much of these, since she was dying anyway...)

Herbs =
Herbes de Provence + A LOT OF thyme
Spices = Bell pepper, Cayenne pepper, Espelette pepper, Ginger, Curcumin, Cumin
Also, I added a lot of garlic (powder)!

I mixed all these herbs and spice with (natural) yogurt, wet cat food, OR - occasionally - a mix of milk and bread... and I added a bit of honey in the mix! Sometimes, I also put Olive Oil in, and a little bit of cinnamon!
(...I think I also put some liquid Calcium in the mix...?)

In addition of her usual food, I gave her that mix to eat for a long time (don't remember how much exactly, but was loooooooong), hoping she would get better.

And sometimes, I also put Apple Cider Vinegar in a plastic waterer, thinking it would help her!

And certainly thanks to that, my hen survived!!
Took time, but she finally got back into shape, and since then, she has even been laying some massive eggs (what she never did before)!!

Never again has she been sick...!!

...Don't know if it could help you...
I don't even know what exactly cured my hen! (Cumin, yes... but for the other things I put in the mix I feed my Gournay? Not sure. I just tried what I could, by using what is renowned good for the immune system!)
But if your hen is dying, what do you have to lose by trying to feed her how I did?
Maybe you hen will die, but maybe you can save her...?

Good luck.
Unfortunately, feeding a bird this much garlic and herbs will more likely kill her than the reproductive issues. Garlic causes long term problems such as internal bleeding, brain damage and balance issues.

@nuthatched :

...Maybe not?

My hen is fine.
She is healthier than before her Salpingitis. She is even laying more eggs AND bigger eggs since I saved her by using this method.
I mean... she now lays some pretty eggs - 70-75 grams in average, but some bigger at 120-140 (or more) grams! (I'm impressed she is not hurting by laying so big eggs!!)

If I did not feed her all of that, she would be dead now. (She was so weak; poor girl...)

@chickenmomma16 hen is dying, no? So maybe she could at least try my method and see if her hen survive..?
What does she have to lose? (...That's her decision, of course...!!)

I personally would not stop trying to save a hen life by a method that "could" kill her if she is already dying and that the method could actually save her...
Hence the fact I told this story about my Gournay : there is always hope.

Last edited:
I just got done palpating her abdomen and I don’t think there is hope for her. She has an egg size hard lump right where an egg would be ready to be laid. She’s molting so not laying, not possible it’s an egg. I don’t think there is hope unless she can clear the lash egg still inside. 🥺 thanks for the links everyone.

Hello.

What about today? How is your hen?

Did you try to give her some liquid Calcium in her bill?
Or to bath her in a mix of warm water and Epsom Salt?

I'm sorry for you.
Always hard to have a hen sick, hurt, or dying when we love them like pets...

Calcium supplement and epsom salt bath might help her pass the lash material.

She likely won’t recover without the right antibiotics and even then salpingitis can recur.

One of my hens laid a lash egg and was showing signs of infection. Prior to getting sick she had a history of soft shelled eggs, stress lines on shell etc., which are risk factors for salpingitis. She had a course of amoxicillin and had the contraceptive suprelorin implant. She’s doing very well now and back to laying without any concerning eggs.

Unfortunately if they can’t take a break from laying to recover from infection, the salpinx becomes increasingly clogged up with inflammatory tissue and egg material, which hardens over time, and is eventually fatal.

Back
Top Bottom