what is the best turkey

Chick_in_Indiana

Songster
12 Years
Dec 14, 2007
NE Indiana
i am thinking about getting a pair of turkies. the breeder (Porter's) has almost 40 different kinds. i spent a good hour last night going through his list and looking at the pics. for those of you who have had the experince, what is the best. i'm looking for something that will live a long and healthy life, have a good temperment, and will fit in well w/ the others (chickens, guineas, and ducks). any fit that description? thanks for any help, Krista

I went through the same thing, deciding, and ended up getting Red Bourbon turkeys (a heritage breed) because they can forage for themselves and are supposed to be good mothers. They are beautiful, too. They look like REAL oldtime turkeys. Blue Slate turkeys are nice too, though I decided to keep just one breed here so the babies would come out purebred.
Good luck!

I have Narragansett turkeys and I really like them. Any of the heritage turkeys should do just fine. My hens do fly very well and will roam if not confined. They usually don't go too far. They are great about foraging for there own food. Each tom has their own personality. I have had some mean ones and some very nice ones. It is really up to you to pick the ones you like. Everyone has their own favorite and you will to. So many colors to chose from. Picking can be diffiicult. Good luck.

Since you live in NE Indiana, just call Porter's, and talk to Kevin. He can tell you anything you'd ever want to know! I've been to their place--its awesome. It will be hard to decide though! We got our Royal Palms from him, but the other breeds are nice too!

Yes, but whether it's factual or not is another story. Beware that many of those 40 so-called "breeds" are merely just crosses. They may be attractive in their own right, but they won't breed true, and are nowhere near perfected to the point where they can be honestly represented as pure breeds or even varieties.

I agree that Bourbon Reds, Slates and Narragansetts are good choices. I have all three, and I like them. Standard Bronze are nice too, if you like that color.

Does Porter's have a website?

http://www.porterturkeys.com/index.htm

ENJOY! You can spend hours here!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom