What is the best way of introducing a solo chick to store bought flock?

RirokuJ

Hatching
Jul 6, 2022
Hello, I'm looking for some advice regarding a recent hatch. My friend gave me some eggs that his hen laid but they turned out to be fertile. Unfortunately, only 1 hatched out of the 3 so I end up with 1 chick so I rush to do research on what to do. Upon this research, I learned that they are flock animal and panic. I drove to my tractor supply store and bought 1 chick. However, it was july 4th so the store owner end up throwing in the rest of their chicks for a total of 7 since it was her last in stock so I just took it.

Is there anyway for me to get them to get a long? When I put them in the cage, they try to attack the solo chick so I had to separate them. I cut a hole in the cardboard so they can still see each other. The little black one is always staring into the other side
Zao5lfh.jpg

Use wire mesh to separate them, not cardboard, so they can all see one another without difficulty.

You might want to consider moving just 1 or 2 chicks (calmer ones) over with the other one to get it used to having a companion.
Thanks, I will go to the hardware store today to look for some wire mesh. I did try the below method as well. One of them seems to get along with it fine. He doesn't attack him but he does chirp alot when removed from his flock.

Back
Top Bottom