What is the best way to cook them

Zookeeper9000

Songster
12 Years
Mar 1, 2008
Gladstone MI
Hi had way too many roo's so Thursday I had the lady (could not even hire any of the guy's I know to do this) down the road kill 2 and tomorrow she will kill the other 8. Now on Sunday my daughter has a B-day and I want to grill some of these birds.

So how do I grill these home grown birds. I know that they take less time as they are not shot full of fluids and salt (thanks to a guy on the board) but exactly how do you know when to stop so they don't get tough.

Sounds stupid but the only stupid ? to me is the unasked ?

soak them in salt water over night.

also, if you are going to grill, a good way is to boil the chicken first then grill for flavor. works awesome, without the drying up!

when is dinner!
yippiechickie.gif

5:30 pm Sunday I have the chicken and the home made wine. You bring the to young to drink driver and a fork. Oh ya don't forget we're having fresh from the garden Mashed potatoes and gravy, stuffing, corn and if I can find a fresh cabage then cole slaw and home made rolls. As well as cake and ice cream.

This is my oldest baby and she will be 27 on Sunday it was a shock when she invited me over for Saturday to have a drink with her and her friends (Margaritta) I was really happy she asked but will leave those to the young ones LOL.

She always asks for her favorite dinner and she gets it. It is also my Grandpuppy's 7th B-day Saturday and he is her's so it is a double party and he loves chicken as well.

I will have to post pics of him at his party. We have one every year for the two of them. He always gets real leather from 3 of my sister's usally Harley Davidson stuff. I don't even get real leather, LOL.

Last edited:
Have you ever tried Beer Can Chicken or Drunk Chicken? It's called several different names. You get a whole chicken, a can of beer 1/2 full (it's up to you on how you get rid of the first half), seasonings...we use garlic pwdr, seasoning salt, onion salt...whatever you prefer (my husband has actually created his own mixture for his birds). Heat your grill, sprinkle the chicken with seasonings, set the whole chicken down on the can of beer and place on the grill, place an onion in the opening at the top of the chicken (this traps in the steam) or make an aluminuim (sp?) foil tent over the opening. Cook for 1 hour. Depending on the size of your bird you might cook it a little less. Our birds are meat birds raised for fair projects, so are larger than the average chicken.

The chicken does not taste like beer, but creates a very juicy and moist chicken. We grilled two and took them to the Pot Luck Luncheon after church one Sunday....everyone raved about them.

We usually fix one every other week and what is leftover makes great wraps or a light meal of chicken salad (the kind on lettuce) the next evening....and it's still moist!

mizauntcathy'shenhouse :

Have you ever tried Beer Can Chicken or Drunk Chicken? It's called several different names. You get a whole chicken, a can of beer 1/2 full (it's up to you on how you get rid of the first half), seasonings...we use garlic pwdr, seasoning salt, onion salt...whatever you prefer (my husband has actually created his own mixture for his birds). Heat your grill, sprinkle the chicken with seasonings, set the whole chicken down on the can of beer and place on the grill, place an onion in the opening at the top of the chicken (this traps in the steam) or make an aluminuim (sp?) foil tent over the opening. Cook for 1 hour. Depending on the size of your bird you might cook it a little less. Our birds are meat birds raised for fair projects, so are larger than the average chicken.

The chicken does not taste like beer, but creates a very juicy and moist chicken. We grilled two and took them to the Pot Luck Luncheon after church one Sunday....everyone raved about them.

We usually fix one every other week and what is leftover makes great wraps or a light meal of chicken salad (the kind on lettuce) the next evening....and it's still moist!

Forgot do I soak these birds in a brine overnight as well?​

Back
Top Bottom