What is the Best Way to Crush Oyster Shells?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 3FrenchHens, Jul 4, 2010.

1. 3FrenchHens

3FrenchHens New Egg

Jul 4, 2010
    Good Afternoon, All --

Brand new member, first post, and I am raising three Dominiques in my Seattle backyard for eggs.

They aren't quite old enough to be laying yet, but I have a crate full of oyster shells (we had an oyster feed here a couple of weeks ago). I'll be buying layer feed when the time is right, but I want to be able to re-use these oyster shells to augment their feed.

The question is, what is the best way to go about this? Pulverizing the oyster shells with a hammer is getting messy and tedious.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Most people buy their oyster shell already crushed at the farm supply store. I have never heard of anyone making their own.

3. mattdog1995

mattdog1995 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2010
    Elizabeth City, NC
    I would put them in my driveway maybe on a piece of tin so the car will crush them up then you just go collect it. That is if you have a rock driveway, a concrete driveway might get a little messy.[​IMG]

4. Sportsterjeep

Sportsterjeep Creekside Acres Farm

Jun 1, 2010
    Mill Hall PA
    I was ready for a new blender, so i took the old one and use it for eggshells and clam/oyster/mussel shells. works really well. Pulse it a few times then let it whir. You can usually pick them up at a yard sale super cheap if you dont have an old one laying around

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by