What is the best way to feed chickens yogurt?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by M To The Maxx, Aug 7, 2009.

1. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    What is the best way to feed chickens yogurt?

2. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    i put mine in a bowl and sprinkle feed on top~ They love it

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Put it in a bowl, set it down and stand back! Way back!
    I found it helps to always use the same bowl when feeding treats. The chickens learn to recognize that bowl as holding something yummy.

4. When I make cooked oatmeal, I spoon some yogurt on top.
    Boy you should see them dig in. They love the stuff. And its so funny to see the yogurt flying all over!

5. Graiae66

Graiae66 In the Brooder

Aug 3, 2009
    Georgia
    I bought some nice plain yogurt today--I have 2 batches of chicks. One batch is about 2-3 weeks old; the other are just a week old. Are they too young for a little yogurt? They are eating chick chow with gusto!

Thanks,

dee

6. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I have eight chickens so I put out two square bowls. That way everyone can have a side but that's not what happens. Some times 4&4, sometimes 3&5, sometimes 8&0. You get the picture. They all love it. Sometimes I put a little grape jelly in it. They like that.

7. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    a bowl will work just fine, although i have used a plate, either works!

8. purpletree23

purpletree23 Songster

May 15, 2009
    My chickens will not eat yogurt unless I mix it with Cheerios. I mix it up, let it soak in a bit and then spread it on a paper plate. Spoiled girls!

9. Mrs. Glassman

Mrs. Glassman Songster

Apr 29, 2009
    Cedartown, Georgia
    I found that when I mix yogurt & chick starter, they waste way less food. It just doesn't scratch out & fling all over the way dry starter does.

10. Bluemoon420

Bluemoon420 The Rooster Queen

Quote:You aint kidding. We bought some blue plastic bowls at the salvation army store for 50 cents (I think it was). Whenever they see the blue bowls, they come running. From all directions! [​IMG] My daughter didn't know this when she was bringing a bowl out with frozen grapes, and she was really creeped out. [​IMG]

Bluemoon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: