What is the best way to get a hen to go broody

If you want to encourage broodiness, keep wooden eggs in the nesting boxes and remove the real ones. If they see a nice big clutch of eggs, they might get the urge. If I wanted a broody, I would choose from a broody breed, not BRs, but it can happen. I have even had a white leghorn go broody on me once.
If ya'll can't get any new chickens now, maybe you can trade one of your hens for another that is a cochin, buff orphington, silkie or araucana.
I know a lot of people are trying to hatch out chicks now, but personally, I would hold off until next spring.

Quote:
There is no evidence that this works. A broody hen will set on a clutch if it is available. She will also set on nothing if that is availabe.

You want a broody? Get a Silkie or two.

Quote:
There is no evidence that this works. A broody hen will set on a clutch if it is available. She will also set on nothing if that is availabe.

You want a broody? Get a Silkie or two.

I agree. If you want a broody stand on your head for 30 minutes twice a day, repeating I want a broody! I want a broody!
Nope, that doesn't work either. I have brahmas and not a single broody. A hen will go broody if and when she's ready to and nothing is going to change that.
sad.png

Because of the time of the year (getting less light, cooler temps.) most hens will stop being broody. It's a biological response to prevent them from raising babies in the cold when they will experience more losses. It's like their "clock" saying - "Hey, it's getting cold! I don't think it would be a good time to raise babies." This is also why some hens totally stop laying in the cooler months. It's a natural occurence.

I agree that the broody tendency sort of wanes this time of year, on the other hand I have a young JG that is broody as can be.

I sort of like hatching this time of year. It is probably not the most natural time of year if you do it with broody hens, but if you have the ability to keep the chicks warm in a good brooder for the winter it is wonderful thing for those pullets to start laying in June instead of now.

I start in the garage and have built a nice brooder that works great for chicks at about six weeks so I am about to start setting some eggs. Now if these darn reds would just start laying, 30 weeks old and nothing

Back
Top Bottom