what is the Best way to introduce new chickens

farmgirlforever18

Songster
9 Years
Mar 5, 2010
Dublin TEXAS
What is the best way to introduce new chickens to your flock? I’m getting a couple of bantams and need to put them in with my other chickens and wasn’t sure how to go about doing so.
hu.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm kinda new to the whole chicken thing, but I recently hatched 2 separate batches of chicks and here are my findings:

*The first batch of chicks I kept separate in a pen till they were about 2 months old, then I blend them in with the older flock. They chase them all the time & kept them from their food & water feeders. At this time they are approximately 3 months old and now they are blending a little better, the only difference I remove the roo from the pen and added the younger chicks.

*The second batch I created a pen within a pen and added approximately 2 week old chicks. At the age of 1 month, I've now added them to the original flock and they are doing fine. In fact this batch is not so afraid like the first batch.

Here are my thoughts - The pen within a pen (especially if they're chicks) is a good ideal and release them at the age of 1 month. But it may take some experimentation. BTW - I have one bantam chick mixed with my rhode island red and it's doing fine.

Hope this help you.

I introduced my little banty girl to my 6 regular sized hens by taking her out and puting her in a wire dog cage in the middle of the run for a few hours a day for 3 days. Then I just opened the door and let her in with the girls. The first few days she stayed huddled in the corner, but now shes doing great. I did notice though she took up with one of my hens and never leaves her side!

Oh and when I let her out I dropped in some watermelon as a distraction!!

Back
Top Bottom