What is the best way to pack hatching eggs for Shipping??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BarefootMom, May 7, 2011.

1. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    i have never shipped eggs nor recieved them, but we are going to soon try to sell hatching eggs. I have a lady that want me to ship her some muscovy hatching eggs but I don't know what to charge because I don't know what Shipping costs are just yet.

I was thinking I should wrap each egg in a paper towel and then bubble wrap each one individually. But what to fill the box with?? I said newspapers but my hubby says packing peanuts. Which is best?? Or is there something better to do?? I would love to know (possibly see pics!!) of ways you ship or have recieved hatching eggs!! Thanks so much!

2. Hi Erin! Here is one way, *Wrapping & Packing Eggs*. It's not necessarily the best way, but it works for me.
    Wrapped and packed similar to the method in the link, a #7 usps priority box (12"x12"x8") with 12 Muscovy eggs weighed 3 lbs 4 oz. You can take your box weight, dimensions, and zip codes and go to usps calculate postage to figure shipping charges.
    I personally don't like 'loose' packing material, but if I have peanuts or the like on hand, I put them in a plastic bag to make pillows (if that makes sense) instead of using them loose. With peanuts, shredded paper, etc, it always ends up all over the place (on the packing end and/or the unpacking end).
    Good luck!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

3. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    thank you for this! bookmarking!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by