What is the best way to ship Muscovy eggs?

Connie White

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 22, 2013
Cedar Bluff, Alabama
I will be selling my gorgeous duck's eggs very soon - am hatching out a lot right now -first group due in two weeks! I LOVE my ducks but also, the eggs taste so good and well - Muscovy taste great! Here's one of my favorite girls (hopefully) hatching out her own - my other ducklings are being hatched out the old fashioned way - in a machine!

I have been doing well on everything because I get such wonderful information from places like BYC! So, my question is - what way is best for mailing out Muscovy eggs to ensure no damage - I want to consider all cost ranges - thanks so much in advance!

Connie

I order duck eggs all the time, they always come USPS priority shipping. I've had them pachaged several ways..when i order from efowl they com in a foam thing with hols in it that the eggs fit into..but when i order them from here or ebay, i've had the eggs individually wrapped in bubble wrap and then the bubble wrapped eggs put in the styrofoam peanuts. I've also had them individually wrapped in the foam wrapping stuff you use for knick knacks and then put in the box full of shredded paper. I've never gotten any broken eggs so i'd say any of those methods is safe.

How was your hatch rate? That's another major concern - I know the eggs are fertile but also know just holding them in the wrong direction for a small amount of time can mess things up!

Do you know which shipping method you have the highest rate with?

Thanks so much! - Connie

My hatch rate is the same regardless. I just had 5 ancona eggs shipped and 4 or them hatched (those were wrapped in bubble wrap) so that's about 80%..i put eggs in that i got from my ducks right here and my hatch rate was about 70%. I got cuyoga eggs wrapped in foam and there were 6 of them..they haven't hatched yet, one of them never even started..but all the others are doing just fine. My hatch rate in the past always runs between 80 and 90 percent. I don't think the shipping really affects it. Write FRAGILE HATCHING EGGS all over the box..I did notice if that's not written on it my mailman will just toss the box over the hedge with no care at all..otherwise they carry it and set it in front of my door. But even the box that was tossed still hatched and had no broken eggs.

it honestly depends on the person doing the incubating. that is why most people have a disclamor that all they can do is ship them..hatching is not guaranteed..most people understand that anyhow.

yup - you are right - I also have read where hatching out Muscovy's can be difficult. My one gal is certainly doing her part - looks like shes got down all around her group of eggs. we'll have to wait and see on all the others being hatched out!! I appreciate your information. - Connie

I sell muscovy eggs on eBay and most of my buyers have excellent hatch rates. Personally I feel the way they are packaged has a HUGE impact on how they hatch. JMO. If you would like I am willing to share my packaging methods with you.

Back
Top Bottom