What is the best way to stop feather picking?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rhodered10, Jan 20, 2011.

1. rhodered10

rhodered10 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2010
    I have noticed recently that some of my chickens were starting to get picked at and getting their feathers pulled by the other bigger girls and i have no rooster, so i have been thinking how do you stop feather picking? the only idea that i have is to separate the girls who are picking the feathers so it doesnt get any worse but im not sure if i can separate them without making an entire other coop and run any ideas?

2. Luckytaz

Luckytaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2010
    Rogers, Mn.
    Do they have enough space ? and are they getting enough protein in their diet. Either can cause feather pecking.

3. rhodered10

rhodered10 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2010
    Thanks for your reply, yes they do have enough space and i beleive that they are getting enough protein in their deit but i am not exactly sure. however they have been spending most of their time in the coop now that winter has come with its buckets of snow and freezing temps and i think this is whats causing it.

4. Baymen Moe

Baymen Moe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Pembroke, Ma.
    I thought I had enough room too for their first winter in 09. Late in the winter with lot's of snow, feather picking started. My best advise is to make sure there is some bare ground in the run so they will venture out of the coop. You can also provide a flock block in the run for them to peck at. A roost in the run or something else to perch on could help as well.

Good luck.

5. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    Quote:Good answers! Another thing this time of year is cabin-fever. If the snow and cold keeps the chickens inside the coop most all day they will get bored and feather-pick. We shovel the run and paths around the back yard,provide treats and try to keep them active. We still get some feather-picking but not serious.

Larry

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

All good suggestions! [​IMG] If you try all that and STILL have issues, then you can always try pinless peepers. Or if it's one girl doing all of the damage, you can try isolating her for a few days (search "bully busting").

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by