What is the best way to treat mites/lice?

BirdyMe

Songster
7 Years
Mar 9, 2012
near St. Louis, Missouri
So, in then event of a fox attack a while ago, I realized that my chickens have feather mites. The fox dropped the dying bird, and when I picked up the bird, I noticed all kinds of little bugs crawling all over him. I was just wondering what my options are here. What is the most effective way to treat this?

Thanks! :)

I just took one of my Delaware pullets to the vet today and she was diagnosed with both worms and mites. The vet said that the mites that he found were not the "sucking" type but the "biting" type and he gave me brief directions to eradicate them which I will quote for you:

"Treat the premises with 5% Sevin dust (Carbaryl); this is safe to get directly on the birds."

I hope this is helpful.

So, in then event of a fox attack a while ago, I realized that my chickens have feather mites. The fox dropped the dying bird, and when I picked up the bird, I noticed all kinds of little bugs crawling all over him. I was just wondering what my options are here. What is the most effective way to treat this?

Thanks! :)
Sevin dust will immediately eliminate feather lice. Redust your birds again in 7-10 days. Do the same thing inside the coop, nests and roosts.

Gotchya. We've got a little sevin dust on hand, but looks like I'll be getting some more. I'm having my 4-H poultry group out next week, so we're gonna use this as a learning experience. :)

New question: do mites cause worms? Should I worm my flock as well?

I have never heard of mites causing worms nor is this mentioned in a book that I have on raising chickens. Unfortunately, I purchased my pullets from a local seller who was raising them in a very unsanitary environment so they came to me with both mites and worms and I am in the process of treating them. Next birds will come from an established hatchery.

I feel ya....10 years of raising chickens, and I've rarely had any real health problems with my flock...until last fall, when I rescued 40 chickens that were -not- being take care of. They brought all kinds diseases with them....and the mites, I'm guessing. I'll only be buying from hatcheries from now on as well. :)

Back
Top Bottom