What is the breed standard for Old English Game Bantam (duckwing)?

sylviethecochin

Free Ranging
6 Years
Jun 14, 2017
Central PA
We traded for a bunch of OEGBs last about two years ago. We wanted bantams, the fancier who was getting out of it (at least, that's how he presented himself) wanted laying hens. It worked out well for everyone.

He said that they were show quality birds. Well and good. I never plan on showing birds, I don't really care about "improving and preserving genetics" (as shown by the great many mutts laying our eggs) and I like the looks of them whether they're show quality or not.

But it began to matter to me when I realised that by selling a few pairs of bantams at the auction, I could pay for chicken feed for a couple months. And enough private buyers have asked about them that I wondered if they really were show quality--because I really can't keep my third generation stock anyway (due to inbreeding), and because it's embarrassing not being able to answer questions about my chickens.

And if they're not show standard, I would like to know so I can just tell people that they're pet-quality and if they are show-standard, I'd like to get some more show standard roosters (again, to prevent inbreeding and also to improve my flock)

So what are the standards? I know they can't have yellow legs, must have straight combs and pale skin, but I would love to know more.

Back
Top Bottom