What is the cost of incubation?

JerseyHen

Songster
8 Years
Feb 10, 2011
Sussex County, NJ
I mean, besides the potential to be overrrun with fowl, how much does it cost to run an incubator for 21 days? I am having trouble determining the wattage for the components (heating element, fan, turner). I know the calculation for volts to watts uses Ohms law so for DC should be watts = volts x amps and AC is watts = power factor x volts x amps.

I have a hovabator genesis 1588 with a turner in it.

The hovabator page says this: "1588 - 12 Volt DC power supply operates on 100 to 240 Volt AC . Only U.S. plug & cord set supplied. Input: AC 100-240V 50/60 Hz 1.5A Output 3000mA 12Volt" . I have also found some information that says the heating element is 25 watts. I don't know about the fan, but I don't imagine it uses much...

The turner says this: " 110 Volt AC". I can't seem to find anymore information on the amps for the turner (it is in the incubator right now, so I don't want to take it out to check the label.

Which numbers and which formula do I use to finde the wattage?

Is it 12V x 1.5A = 18W for the incubator? Yet the information I can find says the heating element is 25 watts. I am not sure what the power factor is to do an AC conversion to watts.

I. am. so. confused. I knew I should have paid more attention in physics.

I think the formula for the cost would look something like this, once I determine the wattage:

(# Watts × 24 hours/day × 21 days/year) ÷ 1000 = # kWh × rate charged in cents/kWh = $X/year

Can any of you help me to determine the wattage for my setup? I am just curious how much this thing is costing me to run per incubation. Thanks!!!

Hi Jersey Hen,

Sorry, I'm not able to help you with your questions... You would have to know the exact consumption of each component (the real one, not the manufacturer rated one!) to reach a reliable figure.

I've been around this question also... My big issue with the calculation is this: Even if you know the exact figures on each component consumption, how do you control/know how much time they're running/turned on?...

Take your heating element, for example... Depending on the conditions you have (say number of eggs hatching) and your room temperature (this can vary from location to location and from day to day), the consumption will vary... Meaning, the "# Watts × 24 hours/day" formula won't work.

Of course, were talking precise numbers here
wink.png
... You could always find a round average figure and work with it.

I think that's why they sell gizmos like these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-UK-AU-EU...urement_Equipment_ET&var=&hash=item5af6905663

Sorry if I just added to the confusion...
hide.gif

Cheers
frow.gif

Last edited:
Hi Jersey Hen,

Sorry, I'm not able to help you with your questions... You would have to know the exact consumption of each component (the real one, not the manufacturer rated one!) to reach a reliable figure.

I've been around this question also... My big issue with the calculation is this: Even if you know the exact figures on each component consumption, how do you control/know how much time they're running/turned on?...

Take your heating element, for example... Depending on the conditions you have (say number of eggs hatching) and your room temperature (this can vary from location to location and from day to day), the consumption will vary... Meaning, the "# Watts × 24 hours/day" formula won't work.

Of course, were talking precise numbers here
wink.png
... You could always find a round average figure and work with it.

I think that's why they sell gizmos like these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-UK-AU-EU...urement_Equipment_ET&var=&hash=item5af6905663

Sorry if I just added to the confusion...
hide.gif

Cheers
frow.gif
Thanks for the response! I thought about the cycling on and off and really I am after the max it costs, so 24 hrs by 22 days (extra day for late hatchers) would probably get me there. Also, why I imagine I can use the max on the figures for the components. I doubt it is much more than a few dollars, but if we start selling chicks, it would be nice to know how much to add in. Interesting little analyzer though. I might get one of those just for curiosity sake.

Last edited:
Hi Jersey Hen,

Agree with you... The cost difference between real and rated component consumption will be minimal... The heating component cycling (25W?) also negligible... Either way, for an incubator run I guess were talking fractions of cents differences... Of dollars for you, euros for me.
smile.png

Neat little gadget, don't you think?... I gather you just punch in your KW/h cost (in your electrical bill) and it does all the work for you.
wink.png

I first considered getting one of these mainly to know the costs not in the incubator (again, a few dollars per run I guess), but in the brooder(s)... That's where the heavy watts (in heating lamps/elements) are!!... So, if you're using brooder(s) don't forget to add this to your cost per chick calculation... I guess way higher than the incubation itself.

Cheers
frow.gif

Yes, those brooder lamps are energy hogs. I am thinking of using a electric heating pad the next time i brood. I will make a little "cave" under it for the chicks. Less fire risk, natural light cycle (instead of that lamp on 24/7), and much lower wattage.

Yes... I believe pads are more heat efficient than heating lamps... And they already come with a rheostat, which makes for easier heat adjustments... Depending on room temperature and chicks needs.

Personally, I'm using an 100W heat lamp (I keep a small flock) hooked up to a rheostat.

On the costs issue again... I know the lamp wattage and for how long it's on... But, due to constant adjustments on the rheostat during the brooding period, it's hard (impossible?) to know the exact energy consumption for the whole period without some real-time measuring instrument.

Good luck with your incubating and brooding, JerseyHen!

Cheers
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom