What is the Cost/ Value of Ameraucana and Rhode Island Hens

prv8eye

Hatching
9 Years
Jan 3, 2011
Hi there,

I am looking to find out what the replacement cost of a white Ameraucana hen and a Rhode Island Red Hen is?
I live in Valley Center, CA and I just lost 2 of my 29 week old layers to my neighbors dogs and I am having a hard time finding local. Raised all of my hens from chicks.

Any info you could give me would be very appreciated as the neighbor has agreed to pay for replacement.

Thank you!

Thank you for your reply.
I already checked Craigslist, no one selling White Ameraucana's, or Rhode Island Reds in may area at least there are none currently listed. I have even contacted breeders in other states as I can't find one in my area. Waiting to hear back.
The neighbor said he would pay the replacement cost, since I raised them from chicks I don't know what it would cost to replace at 29 weeks. I wanted to be able to give him an estimate.

Thank you again.

Instead of looking for the price of particular breeds (unless they were rare breeds) Look for the price of laying hens. Really the cost we have incurred with raising them is probably more that you could sell them for. If I were in your shoes I would tell the neighbor $20 each. That actually is on the high side for where I live. It might be hard for you to find replacements around the same age. Shipping chickens can be very expensive.

From what I have been finding out, the white ameraucana's are hard to find. One lady emailed me and said that it could cost anywhere from $75 to $100, and a breeder who does have some charges $40 for the bird, $10 for the box plus shipping though his would be a few months older than the rest of my flock.
Still don't know how much it will cost for the Rhode Island Red, my reds are dark red with blk, is that a specific variation? I noticed a lot of the reds have white.

Give him a price you are satisfied with plus a few dollars for agrevation, they were you're birds. You set a price you are happy with.

That is a good idea. I raised my mixed flock (all same age) from chicks. I am so angry at the fact that these dogs were on my property to begin with. I have 2 acres and these dogs went all the way around my two fenced pastures and all the way up my driveway and killed them in my front yard where my kids play. Plus right now only one of my other chickens is laying.

Where did you get your White Ameraucana? RIR are very common. When they are a lighter color or mixed with white feathers they are not RIR. They are probably Red Stars or another hybrid.

Can you post pictures of your hens. Maybe we could help you more.

RIR about that age here would be around $10 for common RIR a white Ameraucana though there are lots of things to consider first is quality.We have them ourselves and bought from a top breeder but not all the chicks turned out to be high quality and being a white Ameraucana alone isn't enough to make it worth more than an EE. White is hard to find..are you sure you had a true Ameraucana bred to the breed standard or a white EE "Ameraucana" I also ask where did it come from and what lines did it come from..where ever you bought it from they should have more chicks if you contact them. How did you manage to get a mixed flock all the same age without being hatchery/feed store stock?

personally Id would charge 35-40$ if it was top notch from great lines for the white Am and 15$ for the RIR thats what I could get here Sorry about your birds:-(

Back
Top Bottom