What is the difference between True RIR and Production Reds

ericbrbr

Songster
15 Years
Jun 28, 2008
Tennessee
This may be a dumb question for alot of people but I still dont know the difference. I have oredered 1 dozen True reds and 1 dozen Barred Rock. I currently have some young Reds. Can the true Reds still be used to make Black Sexlink with Barred Rock hen? Thanks

If you do a search here or on the net for 'sex link chickens' you'll get lots of info on how to breed your own sex linked colors.

Maybe someone else will come along with more direct RIR/red production experience...

The difference between Rhode Island Reds and production reds is RIR are a recognized APA breed and production reds are hybrid crosses.
Various breed are used to make the hybrid crosses.

Last edited:
Specific breeds are used to create the various prouction red hybrids. To my knowledge you do not breed a black sex link to a barred rock to make more black sex links.
You breed the original cross...whatever that might be.
i.e. RIR x Barred Rocks
Also all production reds aren't sex links.
I'm no expert on this.
This is just my understanding of what they are.
Did you read the article that was recommended above?

Yea I know it takes a RIR and a Barred Rock hen. I am just wondering if it has to be production red or pure red roo? Why did they make the production red? Are they better at laying or something? I am goin to try to look into it. Thanks

A production red, also known as a cherry egger, is a bird that is made by crossing a delaware and a rhode island red. They lay better and longer than rhode island reds, but look very similar.

Back
Top Bottom