What is the difference between Wheaten, Black-breasted Red, .etc.?

All good info! I happen to have a few wheaten, blue wheaten and splash patterned wheaten games so I thought I'd add a few pictures
wink.png

GameHen.jpg
]
Wheaten

Sabrina.jpg

Blue Wheaten

RedPylePair.jpg

Splash patterned Wheaten

Last edited:
I just gotta say, whenever i see pics of the wheaten hens... well that just clinches it: favorite!
big_smile.png
I can just envision a flock of wheatens. Very nice. Say, is red pyle somehow derived from splash wheaten? I saw some cockerels with this pattern that had little of the blue flecking in the breast etc.. They almost looked like red pyle. Anyone?

Pyles are supposed to be based on BBR only. (but again since wheaten and bbr roosters are so similar, wheaten roosters can also look 'pyle')

There are two ways to make pyle looking birds, by using blue(the splash version) or dominant white.

Dominant white and blue primarily affect black pigments and have only slight or no effect on the gold pigments(brown, reds, golds etc).

That is why these splash wheaten hens have softer brown bodies with white tails & wing areas- the black has been removed. This is also why wheaten and BBR roosters with dominant white or in splash version are nearly all white save for red on hackles, saddles and wing bow plus a bit of red here and there.

Last edited:
The splash pattern tends to leak a little bit of blue around the base of the tail feathers and occasionally in the breast of roosters in my experience, the dominant white is a clearer color but both are beautiful and once you have two splash pattern birds they breed true to color and you can set a family of pyles.

Blue Wheatens will throw blacks, blues and splashes. If you want all blue offspring you can breed a splash pattern to a black and all the offspring hatched will be blue.

we have a roo that came from an amercuana egg,and his sibling hen,too. both hatched as solid silver/grey color which caught our eye,hence they were kept,instead of sold as rest of that hatch,from a bator,was. adult roo colors are perfect for blue wheaten,( at least we think so),hen went grey/blue and is developing a black cape. roo has muffs, hen doesn't.she is laying but can't be isolated to tell egg color. father roo to these was 3/4 amercuauna,1/4blk sx link, mother was gold colored amercuana with black tail tip. pics to follow soon. any thoughts or tips as to what we should call either or both?

Back
Top Bottom