1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is the difference; draft v. ventilation

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by winekntrychicks, Oct 13, 2008.

1. winekntrychicks

winekntrychicks Pooper Peeper

Jul 26, 2008
    Sebastopol, CA
    I have an idea, Want to hear from the experts.
    Thanks

2. jed1154

jed1154 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2008
    To me ventilation is intended, a draft is not. If you put a 4" hole in the side of your coop to get airflow, thats ventilation. If you put a 4" hole in your coop because you failed to make a square cut....thats a draft.

Is that what you mean?

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
  4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I'm no 'expert', but I'd say if it's doing bad things (chilling chickens cuz it's pointed right at them, or causing condensation on the wlls to make the coop air damper) then it is a draft; if it is only useful, it is ventilation [​IMG]

In the wintertime, which I'm guessing is what you are thinking about, if you put your ventilation high up on the walls, not right next to the roost, and have it adjustable os you can close down or close off parts of it when unneeded, you will be fine [​IMG]

Good luck and ahve fun,

Pat

5. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Quote:This sounds pretty defined if you ask me.

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    All air moving through a coop provides ventilation. If it's blowing directly on the chickens, especially where they are roosting, it's a draft.

Drafts are more of a concern when the weather is cold. Having more windows open in the coop when it's 90, just helps keep the chickens from over heating. Having the same amount of air moving over them when it's freezing, will chill them.

I hope this helps!

7. winekntrychicks

winekntrychicks Pooper Peeper

Jul 26, 2008
    Sebastopol, CA
    okay. Just what I thought, but with clarification. Thanks:ya

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by