what is the difference in a name. Farm VS Ranch.

Ranches are HUGE places, often with or without crops, doesn't matter - But they're usually very large and hold a lot of livestock, such as cattle, yaks, bison, horses, etc.

Farms can be large too, but focus more on vegetables, poultry, pork, etc. They aren't so "open range" and often aren't as focused on livestock.

I call my place a farm, because it is on about 5 acres, half of which is pasture, but only for chickens and goats. The rest of the place is greenhouses, crops, and other gardens. And houses/buildings of course.

Farm= vegetable/poultry/small livestock focus

Ranch= hay/large livestock focus

The size of the land doesn't really matter, it is the focus of the land that is the differentiating factor.

You never see a broccoli or carrot ranch. Maybe dipped in ranch, but that's different
wink.png

Last edited:
Ranch= typically LARGE scale livestock operation, cattle or sheep, horses, etc. on rangeland. If crops are raised for more than "personal use" it's almost always feed for the livestock. Ranches are self-sustaining and often have pastures also harvested for hay...

Farm= typically smaller with greater variety of livestock in smaller numbers, often also with crops as well, orchards, etc.
Farms tend to focus more on animal husbandry (for example, for calving--ranch cattle give birth on the range, while on farms regardless of size they're typically in birthing areas and monitered more, intervention is much more likely to occur. This doesn't mean that range cattle aren't given the same quality of care.)

Neither definitions are exact
wink.png

In some regions it's a "farm" regardless of size and what is being raised, while in other's it's a "ranch".

A ranch runs cattle and grows crops to sustain the cattle. It may have a garden to sustain the ranchers family.
A farm raises crops for it's use as well as sell to the community.

If you're not raising cattle then you live on a farm
smile.png

Quote:
If it is a farm now, just give it a new name and consider it a farm, If ranch..... I call mine a farmette.
gig.gif
The main focus here is farm crops, but I also have chickens and a pig.

Back
Top Bottom