What is the differnce in feed brands other than a name?

In light of the recall for Purina http://www.purinamills.com/news/recall-information.aspx I was wondering what is the difference in the various brands of chicken feed? I've only heard of Purina, Nutrena and "generic" whatever the feed store has at the time. Is there really a difference to them?
There is a big difference between brands, and feed within the same brand.
For example when I use Purina I will only use there Honor Show Feed or Game Bird, to me there other feed is just plain junk.

There are a ton of brands of feed out there and some are good some are great and some are just not worth the money there asking for it.

Chris

There is a big difference between brands, and feed within the same brand.
For example when I use Purina I will only use there Honor Show Feed or Game Bird, to me there other feed is just plain junk.

There are a ton of brands of feed out there and some are good some are great and some are just not worth the money there asking for it.

Chris
I'm not a Purina fan either. I can buy better feed at a cheaper price.

Depending on your location, you may be able to locate a feed mill. Many times, such places don't even have a website and do little to no advertising, as their business is predominately word of mouth and local knowledge.

ADM, Hubbard, Kalmbach, just to name a few, are national or regional feed companies. Local mills often associate with these larger feed companies and represent them at the local level. But heartily agree with the above posters. A feed mill can often sell you a locally ground product that is a superior feed, at virtually half the cost of pre-bagged Purina at a retail store.

Last edited:
I've fed all of the major brands available locally and haven't seen any difference in my flock. I do always buy the highest quality of what is offered. What you do want to worry about is if the feed is fresh. There should be a date on the bag. It should smell fresh and not at all dusty or musty. Also, take a look at the conditions in the feed store. One place near me has a terrible moth problem and I won't buy feed there. I find that what affects the health of my hens more than the brand of laying hen pellets is the other stuff - lots of greens, exercise, fresh water and limited treats with carbs (like bread) does make a huge difference, especially with my flock of old hens. The young ones can pretty much thrive on anything. I've got more about that here: http://hencam.com/faq/what-to-feed-your-chickens/

Back
Top Bottom