What is the dosage for fenbendazole?

Hi just reading your post on wormers, panacur and baytril but I have had baytril from the vets before and wasnt aware it was a wormer. Was given it for a sick rabbit who had an open wound so I thougt it was like antibiotics, pretty much what was said.
But now am keeping ducks and chickens and geese am going to worm them why I was reading the posts.. am very confused now.
Is panacur 10% ok to use, I think it says so on the site, so what is baytril then. thanks any help appreciated.

Baytril IS an antibiotic, not a wormer. The previous poster didnt know what they were talking about.
Panacur is 10% fenbendazole, as is Safeguard liquid goat wormer and Safeguard equine paste.

So to get this straight, I can dose with the Equine Safe-Guard with about the size of a pea to each chicken. Then wait for 10 days and dose again? I read somewhere to dose for 3 days just like you would a dog.

I will be tossing the eggs for 2 weeks to be sure they are clean again. Should I wait longer than 2 weeks?

Thanks! The info here is great!

So to get this straight, I can dose with the Equine Safe-Guard with about the size of a pea to each chicken. Then wait for 10 days and dose again? I read somewhere to dose for 3 days just like you would a dog.

I will be tossing the eggs for 2 weeks to be sure they are clean again. Should I wait longer than 2 weeks?

I worm them by how much they weigh and I use a syringe with the paste. What I use is .5ml paste or liquid per 2.2 pounds.

From left to right:
Small = 10mg ( .1cc) = enough for a 200 gram (7 ounce) bird at 50mg/kg
Medium = 25mg (.25cc) = enough for a 500 gram (17 ounce) bird at 50mg/kg
Large = 50mg ( .5cc) = enough for a 1000 gram (35 ounce) bird at 50mg/kg
50 mg/kg is what my vets recommended.

-Kathy

I worm them by how much they weigh and I use a syringe with the paste. What I use is .5ml paste or liquid per 2.2 pounds. From left to right: Small = 10mg ( .1cc) = enough for a 200 gram (7 ounce) bird at 50mg/kg Medium = 25mg (.25cc) = enough for a 500 gram (17 ounce) bird at 50mg/kg Large = 50mg ( .5cc) = enough for a 1000 gram (35 ounce) bird at 50mg/kg 50 mg/kg is what my vets recommended. -Kathy
does your vet state frequency/duration/second course timelines?

Oops, yes, they said once by mouth at 50mg/kg (.5ml per 2.2 pounds) and repeat in 10 days.

-Kathy
Doesn't your Plumb's drug book give the dosage at 20 mg/Kg, but your vet recommended more Kathy?

For certain hard to kill worms like gapeworm and capillaria, you would dose for 3-4 days at the higher dose, but for just normal worms, treatment once and then in 10 days is the usual.

http://www.ema.europa.eu/ema/index....008/vet_med_000253.jsp&mid=WC0b01ac058008d7a8

Panacur AquaSol is also used for the treatment of two types of roundworm infections in the gut of chickens:

Ascaridia galli (L5 and adult stages);
Heterakis gallinarum (L5 and adult stages).

For chickens, Panacur AquaSol is added to their drinking water in a quantity that aims to supply each chicken 1 mg fenbendazole per kg bodyweight daily; this is done for five consecutive days.

The withdrawal period for chicken meat and offal is six days and for eggs it is zero days

Sorry it's cut and paste. The original also discusses use in pigs. This particular product is added to drinking water but the important parts are dosage, length of treatment time and withdrawal periods.

Oh goodness, and a harsh antibiotic at that!  All the fluoroquinolones are quite invasive, broad-spectrum antibiotics, and have some harsh side effects, from random tendon snapping (last I checked, doctors were not sure why that happens), to severe gastric distress and abnormal liver enzymes.  And you'll definitely have to toss eggs for a while with that one, because it has a very long residual effect and almost complete tissue permeability, and will surely find its way into your girl's eggs!  I worked as a vet tech for 10 years, and it was something we prescribed only for the worst of the worst infections, especially food animals.  And it's banned for poultry use, since about 9 or 10 years ago.  We could not prescribe or administer it legally to chickens at our practice. 
Believe me, Baytril is not something you want to administer casually.

And there's the sudden irreversible blindness in cats! Saw that too.

Back
Top Bottom