What is the earliest you have seen a cockerel try to mate?

Trish1974

Araucana enthusiast
5 Years
Mar 16, 2016
North Central IN
My Coop
My Coop
I could not believe my eyes when it first happened, but it has continued to happen a couple times a day so I know it wasn't a fluke. I have an 8 week old cockerel (but it started at 7 weeks) trying to mate his mother! Nearly 100 chicks raised in the past 3 years and I have never seen a cockerel try to mount so early! Is this extremely rare? What is the earliest age you have seen a cockerel trying to mate?
(The hen throws him off and attacks him every time he attempts, and the male and female chicks will be separated in the next week or so. Not looking for advice, just wondering how common this is.)

Common for young ones to get thrown off. My white leghorn has attempted to since 8 weeks. I wasn't surprised though, white Leghorns are designed to mature very quickly, hen can lay as early as 14 weeks!!! Cockerels of all breeds tend to mature faster, so while 8 weeks was a bit early, I wasn't to shocked.

Ha, it's kind of ironic that your roos are mating hens at such a young age. My 18-week old cockerels still aren't mating or crowing yet. I did see the runt try to mount a pullet half (or smaller) his size.
I prefer cockerels that mature slower. I have a mixed sex link right now that is looking like he’s going to have a great temperament. He came from a friend’s flock who doesn’t keep or tolerate bad tempered roosters. She’s been raising them for 10 years or better so it’s mostly bred out.

I watched a naked neck cockrell of mine mount a langshan hen at 5 or 6 weeks if even that old. He was extremely determined and the hen took off with the little guy riding on her back for a good thirty seconds or so before he jumped off. He looked very impressed with himself after the ordeal. I bet he wasn’t much bigger than a pigeon at that point. On the opposite end, I’ve got Brahma crosses (ironically the great grandchicks of the naked neck cockrell) that haven’t crowed or even acted the slightest bit interested in a hen at 6 months old and don’t seem to be changing their mind anytime soon even though they’re twice the size of most of my hens.

Back
Top Bottom