1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is the easiest way to tell the difference between a RIR and NH?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kryptoniteqhs, Mar 24, 2009.

1. kryptoniteqhs

kryptoniteqhs Rosecomb Rich

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    I bought a RIR roo and right from the get go I suspected he may be a New Hampshire, but he was so big and broad, I tried to ignore the feeling.....How can I tell for sure?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

The RIR should be a much deeper darker red .

3. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Quote:Ditto.

4. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Post a pic and one of us can tell you. In general, the NHR are a more orangey red, while the RIR are more of a dark mahogany red. Sometimes it's hard to tell because the colors can vary quite a bit depending on the breeder or hatchery. You can look at pics on feathersite.com - that may help, too.

5. Scratchn By

Scratchn By Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2008
    East Texas
    Katy is right about the color. I've had both. I decided to stick with the NH. They were always broader. I'm looking for a breeding roo to go with my NH hens right now. Know of any?

I've got a great pic of a NH roo. I have to hunt it down.

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/

Great link for just checking out what the breeds look like.

6. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    well im thinking he is NH.....anyone want him? I was just hoping on the off chance that he would be a nice broad RIR that I could improve the color on with breeding to my darker girls.... [​IMG]

7. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    ok i just posted pics...sorry theyre so big.....also the hen on the left in the first pic should be culled right? shes rir, but i dont like her coloring one bit. the only thing she has going for her is she has a nice comb....and even if this guy is RIR he should go right, regardless of his broadness (seriously u should see him in person, hes HUGE!)? If I am trying breed RIRs?

8. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    RIR are more brick shaped or so the standard says. wide bodies

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

They might be production RIRs, but they're not nearly as dark as my RIRs are. These pictures are from when mine were younger. I don't have a decent picture of my roo, but he's a deep dark red/mahogany too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

10. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    Ive got a couple that are the standard. I just got this roo and then even more recently two free hens....couldnt say no to free, but now Im thinking I may need to get rid of them lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by