What is the fate of your ducks?

Kathy farms

Songster
9 Years
Mar 11, 2015
Cape Coast
This may perhaps been discussed somewhere in BYC; but I've been meaning to ask, do you keep your ducks as pets or for meat? I started keeping muscovies to be used for meat, but coming to BYC, it seems most people on here are keeping their ducks as pets...reading all the nice stories and watching my ducks grow, I'm beginning to wonder if I can eat them.

Mine are for eggs and are pets. I have nothing against raising them for meat but I would have a hard time culling mine. I think I could cull chickens easier though. For some reason ducks are just plain cute and cuddly.

Pets! I eat mostly vegetarian diet. A couple of nights a week I have fish. Lucky for the birds, 'eh? :)

A mix.

I got 11 from Metzer and at most keeping 7. The 4 that I do cul will be the welsh males and the screetchy one who I immagine is a female.

One is to be a guard duck/tick eater (male) the rest are going to be my layers and tick eaters.

Mine are for eggs and are pets. I have nothing against raising them for meat but I would have a hard time culling mine. I think I could cull chickens easier though. For some reason ducks are just plain cute and cuddly.

That's true, it seems easier to cull chicken. It could be the bonding issues with them...unlike having ducks, they're cute!

My fiancé and I are hand raising ducks this year in hope that they raise their own ducklings next year, and then we would use those for meat. I know I can't eat the ones I raised, and we'll see about future babies. They might be too cute!

Back
Top Bottom