What is the Friendliest goose Breed??

Critter Crazy

Songster
12 Years
Apr 19, 2007
Binghamton, NY
I want to get some geese, but cant decide what breed to get?? what do you guys think is the Friendliest?? Post pics of your Friendly geese, cause I need to convince hubby, that friendly geese do exist!! LOL!!
lol.png

I have been researching geese because we wanted (and just got) some geese. My first choice was Chinese, second choice was African, because we loved their look. I joined a couple of goose lists and found that on average, Chinese are the loudest and most aggressive of the geese breeds, followed by Africans.

The most docile seem to be Sebastopols (hope that is spelled right), American Buffs and Pilgrims. With the other breeds somewhere in the middle.

We chose the Buffs, they arrived last Friday and are so cute!!

Quote:
I realy wanted some sebastopol, but I cant seem to find any!! I think they are just too cool looking, and I did hear that they are very docile!

Geese get a bad repuation, while at the same time a well deserved one. Here is what I've learned about owning geese:

1) Goslings raised in a brooder with human contact 'imprint' on people are behave like dogs. They follow you around, talk to you and generally respect you.

2) Goslings raised naturally under their parents turn out to be little bastards who are impossible to tame.

3) Geese are extraordinary parents. Both the male and female guard the nest, sit on the eggs and guard the goslings for up to 12 months after hatch. If you come anywhere near the nest or goslings, you will be hissed-at and possible nipped.

4) Even 'tame' geese will be a bit grouchy during breeding season (right now). My tamest goose is being guarded by a normally tame gander. He won't let me near her without a fight. She will let me stroke her on her nest, but still doesn't leave the nest hardly at all.

5) With this knowledge, use it to your advantage. Get goslings which you can raise from day olds and you will have bets results.

Breeds hardly matter as far as behavior goes, but there are some trends:

a) Pilgrims. They are my first recommendation to anyone wanting to get geese. They are medium size and are medium tempered. The females are grey and the males white, so they are sexlinked (if purebred) and just look awesome in your hard and pasture. They're considered the best parents.

b) Embdens. Mischevious, talkative, boastful and my favorite. I can recognzie most of them by their voice now. They are endlessly breaking into feed bags, stealing tools from my workshop and are generally always doing something "fun" to them. I love my Embdens. If I could retire today, I would watch them all day long and would find myself laughing most the time.

c) Chinese. They are unlike other geese, coming from a different ancestor. Their honk is distinctive and you can tell a Chinese from a mile away. They're called "swan geese" by some, since they have a long, slender neck. They are considered the best weeders and are the most prolific layers. They are probably the smallest goose I believe (same size as Tufted Roman).

d) Tufted Roman. The last breed I keep. Small in size with a rose comb, rather than orange. They have little balls on their heads (i.e. tufts) which even day old goslings have. They are great parents and I notice many of my tufted have built nests in the first year. I think they are good breeders and parents. This is a good choice if you don't want large or medium geese.

If I were to get another breed, it would probably be American Buff, simply for looks. Waterfowl are a big investment as they can live 20 years. Get the best stock you can and don't buy from auctions (likely crossbreeds).

Holderread is probably the best: http://www.holderreadfarm.com/

Metzer
Farm is more affordable: http://www.metzerfarms.com/

Back
Top Bottom