What is the genetic colorname for Pumkin Hulsey Gamefowl

My money is on "henny feathered wheaten"
I dont thinkso... If I had to guess myself I would say its some form of archaic self buff, a midway a self buff bird and a black tailed buff bird, some are completely restricted(at least on males) and most have some form of tail restrictors, if one was to study the genetic of tail restrictor one could use this type of birds...

basically they are Black tailed Buff(eWh/eWh) with polygenic tail restrictors...

here your everyday Black Tailed Buff bird..

here is a nice sample of a restricted bird..(no Henny feathers at all)

and here is a pic of a fully restricted bird

and here is my own Black Tailed Red bird showing some tail restrictors inherited by his self buff mother..

Edit. here is another of a bird showing lots of tail restriction, I think we are dealing with polygenic tail restrictor here. and no other bird have this trait(aside from self buff birds ofcourse)

Last edited:
They are NOT henny feathered. You need to learn what hen feathering looks like. Henny varieties have FEATHER STRUCTURE like normal females. The only difference in non-sexually dimorphic varieties is the head and spurs. Tim

I wouldn't rely on spurs telling you Hens for Rooster since Hens will grow spurs also. In fact most of my game hens and a few of my Rhode Island Red hens have spurs.
wink.png

Chris

Last edited:
The combination of Db and Di genes may cause the restriction in the tail. also they may carry the Cb Champaine blond gene like self buff and self red does. The Black tailed Buff bird you have above is actually a Ginger Red. Tim

The combination of Db and Di genes may cause the restriction in the tail. also they may carry the Cb Champaine blond gene like self buff and self red does. The Black tailed Buff bird you have above is actually a Ginger Red. Tim
thats correct, Di and possibly Mahogany(both minor columbian restrictor genes).... the Ginger Red phenotype is also a Black Tailed buff/red...

My thought has always been that they are wheaten ( based on chick photos and hen photos) plus Columbian or Dark brown , plus Dun. They seem to behave as if they have dun, they do not breed true and come in lighter and darker variants. Whey do you guys not think it' s not dun at work here?

Back
Top Bottom