What is the Gold legbar and the Silver legbar? Are they extinct?

Are the Silver and Gold legbar extinct? If they are, when did they go extinct? If they aren't where could I get them?
You can get them in the UK. They're basically gold and silver crele leghorns--no crest, white eggs. They're not very popular, it was debated as to whether or not they had actually fully gone extinct but regardless, a couple of breeders recreated them recently.

In the US we have crested, blue egg laying golden crele, cream, white, lavender and blue legbars.

You can get them in the UK. They're basically gold and silver crele leghorns--no crest, white eggs. They're not very popular, it was debated as to whether or not they had actually fully gone extinct but regardless, a couple of breeders recreated them recently.

In the US we have crested, blue egg laying golden crele, cream, white, lavender and blue legbars.
Really? Wait, we have blue legbars?!?! I thought we just had Golden Crele, Cream, White, and Opal ( Name of lavender in legbars ). I've never heard of blue legbars. Though I do remember seeing somewhere about someone who created Blue golden crele legbars, Blue cream rosecomb legbars, and Cream rosecomb legbars.

Really? Wait, we have blue legbars?!?! I thought we just had Golden Crele, Cream, White, and Opal ( Name of lavender in legbars ). I've never heard of blue legbars. Though I do remember seeing somewhere about someone who created Blue golden crele legbars, Blue cream rosecomb legbars, and Cream rosecomb legbars.
Yeah Patrick Reindel has been working with blue, pumpkin and Rosecomb. I think only the blue is stabilized enough to have a working standard so far.

I say lavender in order to avoid differentiating between lavender+cream (Opal) and lavender+gold (Isabella).

Yeah Patrick Reindel has been working with blue, pumpkin and Rosecomb. I think only the blue is stabilized enough to have a working standard so far.

I say lavender in order to avoid differentiating between lavender+cream (Opal) and lavender+gold (Isabella).
Oh. I also didn't know there wass a isabella color either. THe legbars have some verry interesting colors.

I had gold legbars in the USA before the imported Cream Legbars were available in the USA. They were created from a series of crosses between Brown Leghorns and Barred Plymouth Rocks. This is a photo of Ginger. She was my first legbar back in 2011. I hatched her from a tint color eggs and she laid tint colored eggs. https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/5028575/width/350/height/700

I had gold legbars in the USA before the imported Cream Legbars were available in the USA. They were created from a series of crosses between Brown Leghorns and Barred Plymouth Rocks. This is a photo of Ginger. She was my first legbar back in 2011. I hatched her from a tint color eggs and she laid tint colored eggs. https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/5028575/width/350/height/700
Wow. She is beautiful. Do you know if anyone in the US is selling Gold and Silver legbars?

No, I don't know of anyone selling gold or silver legbars in the US. I got some fertile eggs from H&H poultry in Burnett, TX the fall of 2010. The owner then had been working on her Legbar project for 6-years creating the autosexing from Plymouth Rock and Brown Leghorn crosses. There were a few breeders in the area that had the H&H Poultry line of Gold Legbars, but I know that H&H poultry cross out their Gold Legbars hens to a Cream Legbar Cockerel in 2012 to form their own line of Cream Legbars. There Gold Legbar line is no lone around.

Do you breed chickens? If so creating your own gold legbars would not be difficult. You could cross brown leghorns hens to Cream legbar cockerels to break the cream plumage, blue egg, and cresting genes that are locked into the Cream Legbar variety. Then you could brother sister mate the offspring and you would get 50% barred, 25% white egg layer, 25% non-crested. 75% would be golden and 25% would be cream colored. So you would choose the select birds that were barred, gold, non-crested, white egg layers and going forward you would have your own line of gold legbars. Some people already have non-crested legbars that are gold in color (lacking the cream plumage). If you got foundation stock from one of those people if would make things even easier.

No, I don't know of anyone selling gold or silver legbars in the US. I got some fertile eggs from H&H poultry in Burnett, TX the fall of 2010. The owner then had been working on her Legbar project for 6-years creating the autosexing from Plymouth Rock and Brown Leghorn crosses. There were a few breeders in the area that had the H&H Poultry line of Gold Legbars, but I know that H&H poultry cross out their Gold Legbars hens to a Cream Legbar Cockerel in 2012 to form their own line of Cream Legbars. There Gold Legbar line is no lone around.

Do you breed chickens? If so creating your own gold legbars would not be difficult. You could cross brown leghorns hens to Cream legbar cockerels to break the cream plumage, blue egg, and cresting genes that are locked into the Cream Legbar variety. Then you could brother sister mate the offspring and you would get 50% barred, 25% white egg layer, 25% non-crested. 75% would be golden and 25% would be cream colored. So you would choose the select birds that were barred, gold, non-crested, white egg layers and going forward you would have your own line of gold legbars. Some people already have non-crested legbars that are gold in color (lacking the cream plumage). If you got foundation stock from one of those people if would make things even easier.
Thanks for the info. I sadly am not able to partake in any sort of project for I do not and am unable to own or breed chickens.

Back
Top Bottom