1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is the highest tempature that you can go without cooking eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sunny & the 5 egg layers, Jan 9, 2012.

1. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    What is the absolute highest tempature that an incubator can be without cooking the eggs but the eggs still developing?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  2. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

I didnt check on my bator one time and was reading 102 and still had a good hatch but some people said that wasnt high enough to cook my eggs so I dont know what the highest would be

3. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

sunny & the 5 egg layers :

What is the absolute highest tempature that an incubator can be without cooking the eggs but the eggs still developing?

I have seen where some people have had temp spikes of up to 105 or so and the eggs still hatched. However high temps over a long time will end up killing the embryos. If you do manage to have the incubator a too high they may still hatch, however you really risk ending up with lots of deformed chicks.​

4. Cowgirl75446

Cowgirl75446 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2011
    Texas
    Just depends on how long and how high.

5. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    Quote:X-2 on that...cva34

6. georgiagail

georgiagail Chillin' With My Peeps

I spiked an incubator up to 110 when a chick had just started to pip and killed it. Temp was 110 for an hour or so when I checked and found the dead chick.

Gail

7. Jay262

Jay262 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Its a combination of how high and how long once you get up to 102 or 103 or more anything over a hour or so would proubly kill the embryo as the temp raise the time will decrease.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by