what is the largest breed of chicken?

Maylay's and Shamo's are generaly considered to be the biggest and tallest of all chicken breeds.

10364_33115_weight_85_kg_over_18_lbs.jpg

I love the Malays, but I have a neighbor with white Shamo eggs for me in a month or two. I love these birds. Every one that I've ever been around was so calm and most were very very friendly.

I'm tall and I love that I don't have to bend down and touch them. Much easier on my back. LOL

Compare this Jersey rooster to the barred rock hens, there is a huge size difference. Its one thing
to be tall and lanky, it's another to be just plain 'ol big!
17846_2011-08-17_175731.jpg

The main goal here is to actualy know how to acurately judge the size, the biggest misnomer is people judge size by the misguided feather fluff some breeds carry, you have to handle and feel for the real size of a bird you may be surprised at the results.

Quote:
That is a HUGE chicken. I think I would have 2nd and maybe 3rd thoughts about being in the same pasture.

Quote:
I thought that was an Assil?

Nope. Because Asil are commonly known, most people associate any Oriental Gamefowl with them, but in fact, there's Thai, Brazilian, Madagascar, Asil, Shamo, Malay, Ga Noi (Don and Cua) Aussie Pit Fowl, and so on.

A couple pics of my 'under a year old' Jersey Giant roos. You can Kiiiinda see how big they are. They do carry some 'fluff' that makes them look beefy, but when you pick them up, they are very solid.

32504_jersey_roos_n_belly_pics_014.jpg

32504_jersey_roos_n_belly_pics_008.jpg

32504_jersey_roos_n_belly_pics_007.jpg

32504_rooskids10611_016.jpg

32504_rooskids10611_018.jpg

Couple of Jersey Hens, under 1 year, next to a 2 liter bottle for size comparison-
32504_jersey_giant_girls_006.jpg

32504_jersey_giant_girls_004.jpg

All the pics above are of hens or roo's that are under 1 year old, most of them are bigger now, I say most because there are some other breeds in some pics and I didnt want to confuse anyone.

It really comes down to what you mean by large?

Height?

Weight?

Volume (bulk or fluff)?

The O-Shamo I've seen I think would take both height and weight. But they have no fluff so they don't look as big as they really are.

Not a breed, and didn't bother with live weight, but one of these CX [or a brother] raised on a rationed diet, weighed an even 13 lbs dressed, at around 7 months of age, without neck or organ meat.

44349_chickens_058.jpg

44349_cornish_012.jpg

44349_chickens_060.jpg

44349_chickens.jpg

Back
Top Bottom