1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what is the largest breed of chicken?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jenlynn4, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    My Shamo cock, as requested. This is the latest and not the best photo of him. He's 28 inches tall and the weight, I haven't weighed him in a long time. . .

[​IMG]

He represents a good idea of Oriental Gamefowl. Not always at or above 30 inches but still pretty big and very well muscled. Also, Oriental Gamefowl (Asil, Thai, Malay, Shamo, etc) have "hard feathering" so it's pressed firmly against the body, thus, they only APPEAR skinny, but in fact are more muscled and filled out than your average bird. [​IMG]

Rodriguezpoultry has a very good photo of one of her blue Langshan cocks that represent their awesome size.

2. HappyChickenLover

HappyChickenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jersey Giants weight around 13 pounds for a full size cock. While on the other hand the Asil is probly the heaviest bird at an average of 15 pounds and about 30 inches tall.

3. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    wow he sure is impressive!

4. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Quote:WOW. [​IMG]

He's AWESOME. I'll bet he can jump 6 feet in the air w/ no effort at all with those legs.

5. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    OOH, he's a beauty. I hatched out some Thai gamefowl eggs from e-bay. Can't wait to see how they fill out. At 3 months the stags are very compact, heavy birds. I feel I may be looking for homes for them as they mature.... Where in PA are you? I always wonder if I put them on a leash, and walked them like dogs.....! What kind of looks would I get? Roberta

6. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:No, Asil has a standard wheight of 5.5lbs. for a stag. Its the Shamo that are very large.

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:No, Asil has a standard wheight of 5.5lbs. for a stag. Its the Shamo that are very large.

Yeah, I was thinking - Asil are actually the smallest of them.

8. gallorojo

gallorojo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    Southfarthing
    Asil is a VERY BROAD term. The APA recognized asil is the small reza type. However, many, many other types, variations exist. There are very large asil out there. Huge, in fact-google Kulang Asil, or even Madras Asil. On another note, although Malay are so often said to be so huge, the males are standardized at 9 lbs. A good Langshan will be taller, and a good Jersey giant will be heavier than a Malay.

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Reza are usually the most common in the US though. But, yes, absolutely true. And as shown even with my O-Shamo, they're not always HUGE and 30 inches or bigger. But compared to the average chicken, they are indeed big birds.

If someone wanted a HUGE bird I'd recommend going for the best Langshan or Jersey Giant breeder. Brahmas are a good amount of size too with their fuzzy legs, but the feathering often makes them look more poofy than actually big. Not saying they aren't though! [​IMG]

10. gallorojo

gallorojo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    Southfarthing
    Quote:I agree with this!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by