What is the likelihood of a RIR going broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by acire67, Jan 25, 2010.

1. acire67

acire67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2009
    Pleasant Valley
    When I went out to lock the chickens up tonight, my RIR was sitting in her nesting box. Could she be going broody? She's 7 months old and has been laying for over a month. We do have a rooster. From what I've read, RIRs don't go broody that often. The funny thing is that I bought some eggs for the first hatch in my incubator; they should be here tomorrow. [​IMG] We're in NY and even though today was quite warm, the cold weather will be back soon. I wouldn't mind her going broody but I don't want her or the chicks to be in danger from the cold. Their coop is not heated. Any advice? Thanks.

2. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    She may just be laying in the late part of the day. My RIR's are sometimes still laying when it is all but totally dark outside. I've had RIR's(non heritage)for years and have only had one that went broody(boy was she hateful). She hatched 14 chicks and took very good care of them. Keep an eye on her, you will know it if she is truly broody.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  3. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    RIRs can easily go broody. But they don't usually unless they have at least 4 or 5 or more eggs in the nest. Are there eggs under her?

4. acire67

Nov 6, 2009
    Pleasant Valley
    Thanks for responding. It seemed strange that she was in the nesting box so late (5:30 pm or so). I don't know how many eggs she has under her (we have 3 other hens). I'm guessing at least one because she went in the nesting box when I was cleaning out the coop at about 4:15. I'll see what she's up to in the morning!

5. Chic Chick

Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    East Central Alberta
    Sometimes the hens will sleep in the nest boxes and poop in them if they are at the bottom of the pecking order and are scared to go on the roost. I usually find 1 or 2 of mine in the nests and just put them on the roost and they stay.
    A broody hen will fluff up and growl at you as soon as you reach towards her.
    BTW you can check under a chicken for eggs when she's sitting on a nest - it won't hurt them and they shouldn't peck....at least not hard.

6. acire67

Nov 6, 2009
    Pleasant Valley
    She was sitting on 2 eggs when I checked this morning. I took them when she left the nesting box to eat, and boy, she had a lot to say about that! The rooster wasn't real happy with me either, there was a strange vibe out there. Ruby is in the middle of the pecking order, she doesn't seem to fear the others. Maybe it was temporary broodiness? Definitely someting different going on with her.

7. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    If she is a hatchry bird slim to none on broodiness. If she is from a breeder of heritage stock maybe broody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by