What is the likelihood of a RIR going broody?

acire67

Songster
11 Years
Nov 6, 2009
Pleasant Valley
When I went out to lock the chickens up tonight, my RIR was sitting in her nesting box. Could she be going broody? She's 7 months old and has been laying for over a month. We do have a rooster. From what I've read, RIRs don't go broody that often. The funny thing is that I bought some eggs for the first hatch in my incubator; they should be here tomorrow.
smile.png
We're in NY and even though today was quite warm, the cold weather will be back soon. I wouldn't mind her going broody but I don't want her or the chicks to be in danger from the cold. Their coop is not heated. Any advice? Thanks.

She may just be laying in the late part of the day. My RIR's are sometimes still laying when it is all but totally dark outside. I've had RIR's(non heritage)for years and have only had one that went broody(boy was she hateful). She hatched 14 chicks and took very good care of them. Keep an eye on her, you will know it if she is truly broody.

Last edited:
Thanks for responding. It seemed strange that she was in the nesting box so late (5:30 pm or so). I don't know how many eggs she has under her (we have 3 other hens). I'm guessing at least one because she went in the nesting box when I was cleaning out the coop at about 4:15. I'll see what she's up to in the morning!

Sometimes the hens will sleep in the nest boxes and poop in them if they are at the bottom of the pecking order and are scared to go on the roost. I usually find 1 or 2 of mine in the nests and just put them on the roost and they stay.
A broody hen will fluff up and growl at you as soon as you reach towards her.
BTW you can check under a chicken for eggs when she's sitting on a nest - it won't hurt them and they shouldn't peck....at least not hard.

She was sitting on 2 eggs when I checked this morning. I took them when she left the nesting box to eat, and boy, she had a lot to say about that! The rooster wasn't real happy with me either, there was a strange vibe out there. Ruby is in the middle of the pecking order, she doesn't seem to fear the others. Maybe it was temporary broodiness? Definitely someting different going on with her.

Back
Top Bottom