What is the longest time you have put bully hens in jail?

I had a RIR that was a bully at times. That's just a known part of the RIR breed. I put her in isolated jail for 5 days so the flock could re organize and it worked for me. Now, the EE is in charge and won't let the RIR next to her on the roost. The EE that was the victim is no longer the victim- yay! Solved that problem years ago.
Good luck and If it doesn't work, I'd listen to @aart for sure.
@aart has A LOT of expertise and knows best.
Thank you for your reply Vickischics. Great that worked for the EE!

I put the RIR bully isolated in a dog kennel this morning - she made so much noise while I was working that I had to let her out. I work from home and a noisy hen doesn't help. I will rethink where to put her isolated - maybe in the basement .... ?

I have a similar situation. One hen is bullying an Easter Egger who is totally non aggressive and actually used to be the flock leader because she was the oldest. I’m a week into using the Pinless Peepers which seemed to help the situation for a few days. Then 2 days ago the little bully Americauna beat the crap out of the EE. How she managed that with the Pinless Peepers I don’t know. She’s back in chicken jail now but as Mrs. K and Aart say sometimes you have to make the tough decisions for the peace of the flock. She’s staying in the jailhouse until the EE has a chance to heal. No one else bothers her. Looks like I’ve got some decisions to make too. I hate to do it since the bully is one of my best layers with lovely blue eggs, but we’ll see if incarceration diffuses the situation. Good luck to you!

I hate to do it since the bully is one of my best layers with lovely blue eggs,
One of the birds I had to get rid of was a very mellow beautiful blue layer.
But after being separated for a couple days with a few other for an egg check,
something tripped in her brain and she obsessively messed up the main nests all.day.long.

Thank you for your reply Vickischics. Great that worked for the EE!

I put the RIR bully isolated in a dog kennel this morning - she made so much noise while I was working that I had to let her out. I work from home and a noisy hen doesn't help. I will rethink where to put her isolated - maybe in the basement .... ?
Thats funny!!! They sure can display their displeasure. Lol.
If she wouldn't get over heated, put a sheet over her crate. But, perhaps a nice dark basement might just be the answer. But, make sure she gets light after she's quiet.
Being Quiet= light.
Being Noisey= darkness.
Boy, I hope this works for you.
Fingers are crossed and my body is in a pretzel! Lol
Keep us posted.

I have a similar situation. One hen is bullying an Easter Egger who is totally non aggressive and actually used to be the flock leader because she was the oldest. I’m a week into using the Pinless Peepers which seemed to help the situation for a few days. Then 2 days ago the little bully Americauna beat the crap out of the EE. How she managed that with the Pinless Peepers I don’t know. She’s back in chicken jail now but as Mrs. K and Aart say sometimes you have to make the tough decisions for the peace of the flock. She’s staying in the jailhouse until the EE has a chance to heal. No one else bothers her. Looks like I’ve got some decisions to make too. I hate to do it since the bully is one of my best layers with lovely blue eggs, but we’ll see if incarceration diffuses the situation. Good luck to you!
I do hope this works for you too Pghelp!

Thats funny!!! They sure can display their displeasure. Lol.
If she wouldn't get over heated, put a sheet over her crate. But, perhaps a nice dark basement might just be the answer. But, make sure she gets light after she's quiet.
Being Quiet= light.
Being Noisey= darkness.
Boy, I hope this works for you.
Fingers are crossed and my body is in a pretzel! Lol
Keep us posted.
LOL! Yeah she was noisy even when she was next to the window with daylight. Thank you for your good wishes Vickischics! I'll keep you posted.

Back
Top Bottom