What is the longest time you have put bully hens in jail?

Amethyst288

Songster
May 18, 2021
My hens are free range and are over a year old. I have a New Hampshire Red X with Leghorn hen that has something against my Easter Egger Variety.
The Easter Egger is at the bottom of the group of 4 hens - she is so gentle, never pecked any of the others and she has to keep out of the New Hampshire Red X's way to get some peace. But the New Hampshire Red X can follow her around, and there have been a few times when the New Hampshire grabbed the Easter Egger's neck. No injuries, just bullying behavior.

I have tried putting New Hampshire Red X in jail initially for 3 days, then more recently for 5 days. When she's out free-ranging initially, everything seems fine. Then she starts moving toward the Easter Egger aggressively. So then the Easter Egger keeps away from the others again! She is so sweet to me, but her bullying attitude is making the Easter Egger's life a bit miserable.

I am thinking of putting New Hampshire Red X back in jail again, but I just don't know how long is ok.
Has anyone had a good result putting a hen back in jail in a similar situation? How much time in jail is too long?
Could it be that they are just not compatible?
Or maybe is it the Easter Egger, who refuses to peck any of the others, that is the problem?

Many thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply aart.
I'd like to resolve the behavior problem coming from the Red X.
Does putting a breed like this in jail work?
I want to save getting rid of the Red X as a last resort.
Out of the other 3 hens, only one of them stalks the EE.

You just can’t wish them nice. Some birds just do not work in some flocks, especially small flocks. If the jail didn’t work at 5 days it is not going to work.

Another option is the pin less peepers, they have been known to help With an aggressive bird.

That or selling either the victim or the bully. If the jail hasn’t worked, it is not going too.

I didn't know that a New Hampshire crossed with a Leghorn was known to be aggressive. Interesting theory.

Amethyst, it is possible for a hen to be incompatible with another one. One theory is that the dominant hen or rooster recognizes that a specific chicken is weak and doesn't belong with the flock. A sick or injured chicken could attract predators to the flock so they try to run them off or kill them. I don't know what that hen may see in the other to trigger this. Another possibility is that a weaker hen fairly low in the pecking order sees an even weaker hen and picks on her to keep her weak and prevent her from passing her in the pecking order. I'm sure there are other reasons one chicken could just not like another.

The idea behind isolating one is to mess up her position in the pecking order. When she gets back she is more worried about reestablishing her position than picking on another specific one. Or maybe it's to break a bad habit. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

When you locked her up was she still with the flock or totally isolated? If you did not totally isolate her from the flock you might try that. Five days should be enough. That's the only thing different that I can think of. I really don't expect it to work but you never know.

I don't keep individual chickens, I keep a flock that has replaceable parts. I try to solve for the peace of the flock. Sometimes that means I remove the aggressor, sometimes the victim. I'm not watching yours, especially when the aggressor is locked up. I don't know which of yours I'd remove. But I'd probably remove one.

Thanks, Ridgerunner for your reply. I appreciate your explanation since we've only had hens for a year, we're still learning.

The aggressor was isolated from the others in a dog crate - but the other hens occasionally came by and they saw her in the cage. I will try what you suggested about completely isolating her from the others and see how that works. Thanks for your suggestions.

You just can’t wish them nice. Some birds just do not work in some flocks, especially small flocks. If the jail didn’t work at 5 days it is not going to work.

Another option is the pin less peepers, they have been known to help With an aggressive bird.

That or selling either the victim or the bully. If the jail hasn’t worked, it is not going too.
Thank you for your reply Mrs. K.

Thanks for your reply aart.
I'd like to resolve the behavior problem coming from the Red X.
Does putting a breed like this in jail work?
I want to save getting rid of the Red X as a last resort.
Out of the other 3 hens, only one of them stalks the EE.
Doesn't really have much to do with breed, I only mentioned the 'red' aggression aspect because it seems rather common....but I've never had a red bird.
But I have had a couple of neurotic birds that I've tried to reform.
Both went to the processor after several attempts to change the behavior.
Life's too short to tolerate chaos in the flock, IMO.

I had a RIR that was a bully at times. That's just a known part of the RIR breed. I put her in isolated jail for 5 days so the flock could re organize and it worked for me. Now, the EE is in charge and won't let the RIR next to her on the roost. The EE that was the victim is no longer the victim- yay! Solved that problem years ago.
Good luck and If it doesn't work, I'd listen to @aart for sure.
@aart has A LOT of expertise and knows best.

Doesn't really have much to do with breed, I only mentioned the 'red' aggression aspect because it seems rather common....but I've never had a red bird.
But I have had a couple of neurotic birds that I've tried to reform.
Both went to the processor after several attempts to change the behavior.
Life's too short to tolerate chaos in the flock, IMO.

OK, thanks aart. Yes, it sure is!

Back
Top Bottom