What is the Makeup of This Hen? Thought I Knew, but...

I know, LOL. I sometimes even call her "Tiny Terrorist".
lol.png
She answers to it, too.

Thanks for the input, Ed. She is very lean like the mediterranean breeds, much leaner than the Ameraucana body type she was supposed to be. Her tail set is very off, too, which always puzzled me. She did hatch from a blue egg, but that girl has some different stuff going on in her ancestry, for sure.

I don't know what might be in her but I am wondering if she ever looks at you without the stinkeye?
wink.png
tongue.png

She has that wild expression in her eyes all the time. A friend told me she looks like she may have some Sumatra in her and that really looks more like her than anything else I've seen. They lay white eggs and she lays brown, but she hatched from a blue one, supposedly out of a BBS Ameraucana flock. I don't doubt that's where she came from, however, I think it's entirely possible that her mother or sire is carrying something much different in the genes.

Look at the Sumatra hen on Cackle's website--looks very much like her, I think.

blksumatrahen.jpg

she looks like some kind of asiatic game bird, or maybe something medditeranean, like part sumatra, although the brown eggs wouldn't really fit... she's really pretty. i have a Tiny, also, the hen in my avatar and my namesake on byc
smile.png

Aloha Speckledhen,

Your hen reminds me of my little hen Spurrs.. Just that she has red hackles and she lays blue-green eggs. My hens eggs are small too... But If I had my guess she may have came from a sumatra lineage. Which is a type of game bird. Cause Spurrs is a game lineage and has blue gene in her too. From bantam Aracuana of some type. Bacause her mother is smaller than her but lays the Blue-green eggs but smaller than Spurrs. Spurrs is just slightly larger. But really not much difference in size.
51551_photo722.jpg

her mother
51551_photo724.jpg

If I can get pictures side by side I will post them with her other daughter...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom