What is the Makeup of This Hen? Thought I Knew, but...

Quote:
I didn't notice if she has extra spurs, but I'll check that tomorrow. She flies pretty darn well--she gets height and distance and on occasion, lands outside the pen, which has a 6 ft fence.

I had one Sumatra hen who was foraging along the corn field when the neighbors came by walking their dog. She got scared and took flight, she must have been scared to land because she went all the way across the field. I had to drive about a mile to go find her.

She has light golden eyes, another non-Ameraucana trait. They have reddish bay and some, though it's incorrect, have dark brown, but never golden that I've ever seen. Tiny is seeming more and more like she has Sumatra in her. Thanks for all the input! BTW, your rooster on Feathersite is great looking!

Quote:
Gosh, that sounds just like Tiny! She is with my big Delaware rooster and sometimes, she just doesn't want to submit, so up in the air she goes. If there is Sumatra in there, and it's looking good for that, whatever else she is mixed with would probably account for the light brown egg. She hatched from a blue egg so her mother was Ameraucana or EE, certainly. Guess I'll never know the exact lineage for Tiny, but she's doing a pretty darn good imitation of a Sumatra cross, isn't she? Thanks for your input, Jason.

I have raised and crossed plenty of cornish and one trait that seems to always pass on in the first crossing is the cornish's' ability to talk in their sleep, ever notice that with the hen? the head looks alot like hatchery cornish to me. The cornish does lay an egg similar to the one in the picture.
Quote:
Gosh, that sounds just like Tiny! She is with my big Delaware rooster and sometimes, she just doesn't want to submit, so up in the air she goes. If there is Sumatra in there, and it's looking good for that, whatever else she is mixed with would probably account for the light brown egg. She hatched from a blue egg so her mother was Ameraucana or EE, certainly. Guess I'll never know the exact lineage for Tiny, but she's doing a pretty darn good imitation of a Sumatra cross, isn't she? Thanks for your input, Jason.

No, Ed, I never have been in the coop when Tiny was on her roost so not sure if she "talks" in her sleep; interesting. The moment I walk in, she's down, begging for attention.

I just checked on Tiny's spurs. I can't see a second pair on her, though there is a hard area that looks sort of like a spur bump up against the spur. I'm not sure it's a second spur, though.

If anyone wants to try to give the Tiny Terrorist a home, someone who has more time to give her individual attention, she is up for rehoming. She is a tiny brat and I have a feeling that one day, she'll go broody and will be a super fierce protector of her chicks. I just collected her egg of the day--she does lay almost every day, rarely has skipped at all.

Hi Cyn,
frow.gif

I agree with the sumatra heritage. I have some hens that have sumatra in them and your tiny reminds me a lot of them. Sumatra are very known for their ability to fly.
wink.png

iPhone137.jpg

Back
Top Bottom