What is the max age difference that works when putting chicks together

tazzy

Songster
11 Years
Apr 2, 2008
Kentucky
We have three baby chicks that are two days old and we have another broody hen sitting on eight eggs. We didn't see what day she started sitting on the eggs and then forgot to write down our estimate of when it happened. (we have our own six-month-old infant son, so sometimes things we plan to do escape us when it's time to actually write it down on the calendar!)

But that said, she's been sitting on the eggs at least a week and a half already, so we're probably looking at having chicks that are about 1-1/2 weeks to 2 weeks younger than the three that already hatched.

We have raised chicks before that were one week apart in age without any problems from them pecking each other in the brooder. But is is possible to raise them that are up to two weeks apart in age? And will the mama hens try to kill each other's chicks?

We only have one brooder so we're hoping we can raise all the chicks together. But if not, just let me know your opinions and we'll arrange another setup for the second batch of babies.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I have chicks that are born 04/01 togetherwith chicks that are two weeks younger. I also put my runt chick from the younger chicks in with a lonely chick that is about 7weeks younger. If you can wait 2 weeksto introduce them , maybe through a fence screen first and then later under your supervision. Its up to the chicks temperament if itworks or not.

I've never hatched under a broody but I think you will need to take them from the mother hen after all are hatched and she has left the nest...especially if you have other hens in the coop with the hatching nest...and put them in a brooder until they are near full size...then caged in the coop for 30 days to introduce them into the pecking order without trouble. When I incubate this is what I do...they will need to be big enough to protect themselves when the pecking order is being established.
Again...I state I've never hatched under a broody...NO roo...but I'm sure someone will post soon. JMO
Good Luck with the new chickies!!
jumpy.gif

I'd leave the chicks with the broody, she will care for them, and save you the hassle of of a brooder. Do you think in the wild the flock would never have chicks and different aged birds?

Chicks are smarter than you think and will shy away from the larger older birds. chickens are very size alert and the largest bird is king or queen. The others know instinctively not to mess with them or a broody hen.

Back
Top Bottom