What is the maximum of chickens and ducks recommended for a 8x6' coop?

NorthernChick1

Songster
Jul 11, 2018
Ontario, Canada
I currently have one muscovy with 8 chickens.
(3white leghorns)
(3 isa browns)
(3 silkies, 1 hen 1 roo)
I still feel like they have plenty of room and im just curious as to what people think is a safe number that i can expand to. i currently have another silkie pullet and two easter egger pullets waiting to be older before incorporating them.
I am not looking to get more chickens but i do wish to get one or two ducks.

Coop is the shelter so how big is the Run? Ducks need other Ducks and if Drakes they can kill chickens if they breed them. Ducks create too much wetness and chickens prefer dry living. Why do you want Ducks? Eggs?

muscovies arent as messy with water than regular ducks thats why i have some :) im a wildlife technician so i work with them everyyear and they facinate me. i love their personalities and theres eggs are a bonus. my run is 18'x18'

muscovies arent as messy with water than regular ducks thats why i have some :) im a wildlife technician so i work with them everyyear and they facinate me. i love their personalities and theres eggs are a bonus. my run is 18'x18'
i wouldnt get drakes i have two hens lined up i just want to make sure im not over crowding. i have 10hens one roo and a hen muscovy. just looking to get one or two more

There's really no hard number....too many other variables.
Unless your run is winter-weather-proofed, I wouldn't put more than 8.

I would only put 8 chickens in that coop... mostly because of long cold winters.

Maybe 2 ducks with them.....

But I HATE taking eggs from the muscovy... they cry and cry :hit

Back
Top Bottom