What is the minimum temp for 4 week old chicks?

guesswhatchickenbutt

Songster
10 Years
Mar 5, 2009
Central FL
I've been reading this forum like mad and have found lots of info about putting the heat lamp on the new chicks and reducing the temperature by 5 degrees each week.

But what is the minimum temperature that 4-week to 5-week old chicks can tolerate??

I will probably be leaving my chicks to go on vacation when they are 4 weeks old and returning when they're 5 weeks old.... So I want to know if I can leave them in the coop outside without a heat lamp at this age.... but of course, this would depend on what the minimum temperature they can tolerate is. We'll have pet sitters feeding and watering them...

Thanks!!!!

Edited to say - I've found a few posts that say that 8-weeks old is the rule of thumb for moving chicks outside, but wouldn't this depend on the area of the country you live? There's a big temperature difference between Oregon and Florida, for example... Is there some sort of chart showing chick-age and necessary temperatures??

Last edited:
Theretically the temp should be around 75, however that is just a rough number, some will need a higher, some will want it lower. Your best to give them a area where they can move out of the heat if thier bodies tells them too. I never bother with a thermometer, just hang the light, if chicks are huddled under the light lower it, if they are all out from under the light raise it.

Marlinchaser - my issue is that I want to put them outside with NO light since we'll be on vacation, so I want to know what the minimum temp they can tolerate at night will be. My husband doesn't like the idea of us going on vacation and leaving a dangling light above straw, especially because we have severe fire warnings going on around here because we're so dry.

If we were going to be home, this would not be an issue. I'd be home monitoring them and could bring them in at night... but we have to leave for vacation when they're about a month old. We'd like to keep them outside in their coop, but can't make this decision until we know what the minimum temperature is they can tolerate at this age.

Last edited:
Quote:
There is no set time when they can be set outside, mine do not come in the house, are raised outside. As long as you can provide them with a draftfree/warm enough area the location does not matter. The 8 week rule is in reference to chicks being fully feathered at which time they can be withough supplemental heat.

The temp you are looking for is 75-80. Remember, that you can't be relying on the average daily temperature. Your overnight, lowest temperature, that week would have to be over 75. Even in South Florida, the overnight temp is 60 this week.

Why not just leave them where they are for the week? Are you worried about fire (i.e. heat lamp falling)?

Quote:
We're looking at the last week in April - 1st week in May...

They'll be in a large tupperware container and I keep hearing from BYCers that they'll need more room than that at that age... and my husband doesn't like to leave lamps and things on in the house while we're away on vacation. We even go around and unplug stuff.... so the idea of leaving a lamp on dangling above flamable straw isn't flying.

At first I was going to take the chicks with me in their big tupperware box, but everyone on here told me I was nuts when I posted that.
hmm.png

I'm really trying to do the right thing for these chicks...

You are not going to know the forecast. Even if it is historically warm enough, nobody can say there won't be a cold front. If they are fast growing breeds, and you live in the south, it will probably be ok. It is probably too late, but you should have got the chicks earlier or after you got back.

Doesn't sound like you have a choice (unless you can push back the date to get the chicks till after your vacation or get them tomorrow). Put them in the coop, make sure they have plenty of feed, and cross your fingers.

I reduce heat but do not always put them outside at 8 weeks.

the general rule is 95 first week and reduce 5 degrees every week

but remember if you do it differrent there are no chick police -

we all have different systems or adjusted for what works for us ---

I find that out of heat chicks have been more hardy here- Here it is

so much the cold or heat I have trouble when temps bounce nice

one day ugly cold the next --

I know this is a responce from several years ago but maybe it will help people. 1-3 week old chicks need approx 90 degrees. Reduce the heat by 5 degrees each week after 3 weeks. A 4 week old chick can handle 70 degrees okay as long as there is not direct wind and as long as they are not wet. 5 week old chicks can withstand lower temps. 10 week old chicks should be able to withstand 38 degree temps just fine. The older the chicken the more they can tolerate. I was told by an older man who has raised chickens for 70 plus years that if you mix crushed red pepper with you chicken feed it helps them with stand colder temps although I dont know how true that is.

Back
Top Bottom